BAE Systems Digital Intelligence Laboratories is seeking to recruit researchers to join our rapidly expanding Data Research group. We are looking for candidates who are adaptable, enthusiastic and highly motivated. You should have existing skills in Artificial Intelligence or neural net based Machine Learning and will need to be a proficient programmer, preferably in Python. You will have the opportunity to work on a wide range of Data science research topics for customers across the defence, security and commercial sectors as well as on internal BAE programmes. You will also have the opportunity to maintain strong links with Academic partners and to grow technical research areas of interest to you.
The Data Research group has a diverse range of teams working in: reinforcement learning, NLP, knowledge graphs, computer vision, AI for RF and EW, sonar and acoustics and you will have the opportunity to work with these colleagues in multi-disciplinary teams.
Candidates will have the opportunity to mix technical challenges with customer-facing and project support tasks. In addition to a solid academic background and excellent written and verbal communication skills, we are interested in candidates with experience in NLP, text-mining, knowledge graphs and/or graph machine learning. Experience handling large and unstructured datasets is also desirable.
- Conduct novel research in given topic areas, often in partnership with leading UK Universities.
- Develop prototypes and proof of concept demonstrators.
- Propose and undertake novel research for both internal and external projects.
- Take ownership of tasks in projects and deliver to challenging standards.
- Work effectively both on self-directed projects and in larger project teams.
- Preparation of technical reports and technical proposals.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- PhD. qualified in a relevant discipline or equivalent industrial experience in the application of AI/ML techniques. Of particular interest are candidates with experience in the domains of:
- Natural Language Processing, including Information extraction, text-mining and entity linking. Experience with modern (e.g. transformer-based) NLP models is desirable but not essential.
- Experience with graph-structured data and/or knowledge graphs. Potential experience may include (but not limited to): ontology design, knowledge representation, knowledge graph embeddings, link-prediction and node classification.
- Experience with state-of-the-art graph neural networks, such as Graph Convolutional Networks (GCNs) and Graph Attention Networks (GATs) is desirable but not essential.
- Essential: Experience in software development in Python
- Essential: Experience with at least one ML framework: TensorFlow, Pytorch, scikit-learn
- Appetite for working in a secure environment is desirable but not essential.
- Desirable: Experience with one or more graph machine learning packages (StellarGraph, torch-geometric etc.) and knowledge graph toolkits (Neo4j)
Life at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day. By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance wellbeing.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds – the best and brightest minds – can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.
About BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
We use our intelligence-led insights to help defend Governments, Nations and Societies from cyber-attacks and financial crime. Our customers depend on our evolving capabilities to help them safely grow their organisations. Our unprecedented access to threat intelligence, world-leading analysts and market-leading technology means we can help them to adapt, evolve and stay ahead of the criminals.