At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
The Engineering Department (EN) pushes forward the limits of technology so that physicists can carry out their research. Within the cooling and ventilation (CV) group of the EN department, you will join the PSM Section (PS&Meyrin), which is in charge of the operation and maintenance of cooling and ventilation systems on CERN’s Meyrin site including the PS accelerator complex and several experimental areas. In addition, the section is also responsible for the work site supervision for installation and commissioning of new systems, upgrade of existing systems and consolidation of old systems.
Are you a qualified and proactive technician specialised in cooling and ventilation systems, willing to contribute to a unique working environment at the heart of one of the world's most complex and exciting scientific experiments? Then, this opportunity is for you - join the largest particle physics research laboratory in the world. CERN, take part!
As a Technician who will take part in the operation, maintenance and modification works of cooling and ventilation systems, you will:
- Plan (by using the CMMS system), coordinate, supervise, check and perform preventive and corrective maintenance activities on cooling and ventilation plant, in particular on EN-CV`s technical infrastructure including water-cooling stations and distribution networks; HVAC systems; compressed air and demineralized water production and distribution plants;
- Perform operation activities to ensure appropriate running of these systems;
- Ensure regular liaison with users for all matters related to these systems;
- Propose and define the most appropriate solution to meet user needs in case of modification or renovation works;
- Technically coordinate contractors’ maintenance and installation work in compliance with contractual clauses and technical standards;
- Contribute to projects from the design phase until test and commissioning of the systems;
- Write technical reports and notes;
- Ensure that the technical documentation is up-to-date and compliant with the quality standards;
- Ensure the respect of safety rules for all interventions;
- Participate to the stand-by service.
Technical certificate or general secondary education or equivalent relevant experience in the field of mechanics or electro-mechanics or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience in maintenance, operation and installation work on cooling and ventilation systems;
- Experience in the technical coordination of external contractors;
- Experience in the use of CMMS tools;
- Experience in low voltage electrical system;
- Initial experience in compressed air systems.
- Operation and maintenance of cooling water systems: operation, monitoring and maintenance of water-cooling stations and distribution networks, HVAC systems and networks, compressed air as well as demineralized water production and distribution plants.
- Organisation, planning and control: organization, planning, coordination and technical supervision of construction, consolidation, and maintenance works of such installations.
- Contract management: in particular technical supervision of contracts.
- Organisation, planning and control: coordination of activities involving different technical fields (electricity, civil engineering, heavy handling etc.).
- Operation and maintenance of electromechanical equipment and systems: lV network and switchboards.
- Managing Self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting
- Working in Teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities
- Demonstrating Flexibility: readily accepting new tasks or work/projects Adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements
- Solving Problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them Adopting a pragmatic approach; understanding the value of adopting generic rather than gold -plated' technical solutions
- Communicating Effectively: providing others with timely information Ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented
Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak in professional contexts. Ability to draw up technical specifications and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages and an undertaking to acquire the other language rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 31.08.2022 at 12:00 (mid-day) CET.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: EN-CV-PSM-2022-77-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electromechanical Technician