At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you a qualified and proactive Works and Services Safety Technical Engineer, willing to contribute to a unique work environment at the heart of one of the world's most complex and exciting scientific experiments? Then this opportunity is for you. Join the largest particle physics research laboratory in the world! CERN, take part!
As a Works and Services Safety Technical Engineer, you will join the HSE unit, which supports CERN in the implementation and application of its safety policy, and the OHS Group, which is in charge of providing advice, monitoring and following-up on the implementation and accomplishment of safety objectives, aimed at a continuous improvement of a safe working environment. Within the OHS group, you will join the Process Engineering & General Safety Services (PE) Section.
You will be one of the CERN specialists for the safety of works and services, and joining a multidisciplinary team of safety experts.
The job covers aspects such as worksites, diagnosis of building pollutants, risk assessment, safety in projects and safety verification.
- Assist in the field of safety of works and services, in particular by providing safety support to joint inspection visits and preparatory visits, in a context of industrial risks;
- Provide support in safety risk assessment and risk control, audits and technical reviews, including verification of documents such as operating procedures, withdrawal plans and prevention plans;
- Design and deliver safety training, in collaboration with CERN’s Safety Training section;
- Write and update CERN Safety documentation including rules, instructions, and guidelines;
- Carry out diagnosis before work concerning pollutants in buildings and equipment, such as lead in coatings, PCB and asbestos;
- Ensure the authoring of the diagnosis reports and associated technical assistance to those reports;
- Supervise the work of consultants carrying out diagnosis activities in view of establishing and updating databases related to pollutants in buildings;
- Assist the Departments in carrying out the treatment and removal of pollutants in buildings, including validation visits and follow-up of occupant complaints.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of Health and Safety Engineering or a related field.
The experience required for this post is:
- Proven experience in safety of works and services in an industrial environment;
- Demonstrated experience in general occupational health and safety, and its related disciplines;
- Experience in the building pollutants risk activity.
- Occupational safety and risk management: authoring of technical documents that are shared with the relevant authorities;
- Occupational safety and risk management: knowledge of safety risk assessment methodologies/tools and risk management;
- Safety conformity assessment: knowledge of diagnosis of building pollutants;
- Knowledge and understanding of health and safety legal issues: good knowledge of regulations and standards related to safety of works and services.
- Working in Teams: cooperating constructively with others in the pursuit of team goals; balancing personal goals with team goals.
- Solving Problems: producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements Identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them
- Demonstrating Flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements Being willing to work on different projects simultaneously
- Achieving Results: delivering prompt and efficient service taking into account customer needs
- Communicating Effectively: delivering presentations in a structured and clear way; adjusting style and content to the audience; responding calmly and confidently to questions
•French: spoken and written, with the ability to draw-up safety documentation, reports and articles and make oral presentations.
•English: ability to understand and speak in a professional context, or the undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 31.08.2022 at 12:00 (mid-day) CET.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 4-5
Job reference: HSE-OHS-PE-2022-78-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Health Safety and Environment Technical Engineer