Applications will ONLY be considered for candidates who are eligible to work in the United Kingdom.
We are looking for a Site Reliability Engineer to join our rapidly expanding software and control systems team. Our team is responsible for developing a broad range of software solutions across a broad range of vehicles, technologies, and customer systems.
Our control system is vertically integrated, so all successful candidates have broad opportunities to develop software solutions for user interaction, hardware & device interfacing, control & mission orchestration, situation awareness, sensor fusion, and data science & analytics; to administer and maintain our build systems and infrastructure; and to design and implement IP network and other comms solutions.
Site Reliability Engineers are responsible for continually maintaining and developing our automated build, test, and deployment infrastructure. Our work requires a lot of specialist infrastructure, which is a combination of COTS and custom solutions. Our SREs work together to develop these solutions, and are frequently deployed into a broad range of projects to gain first-hand understanding of the problems we routinely face. They also work with Linux System Administrators and our corporate IT team to make sure our infrastructure meets compliance needs and is corrected joined to the wider business. Many of the problems we face relate to vehicle deployments and ongoing maintenance, so there are plenty of opportunities in this area too!
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to: list key tasks
- Focussing on automating and improving workflows around the business and advocating for a DevOps culture throughout.
- Writing scripts to improve build, automated test and deployment system(s).
- Working with Kubernetes (k8s) and containers
- Design and specification of the software elements of the control systems used by ASV.
- Software development, in a Linux and/or Windows based environment using C, C++, Qt framework, Python or other appropriate languages and frameworks.
- Act as technical lead for assigned projects where appropriate.
- Work with customers, sales, system engineering and other appropriate areas to assist in defining and breaking down of detailed requirements.
- Production of required technical documentation.
- Provide technical input for detailing requirements.
- Provide estimates for resources and timescales to develop control systems.
- Dealing with the unique challenges that arise in the emerging area of autonomous boats.
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills
- Inquisitive and keen to understand the detail
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong willingness to learn new systems and tools
- Strong desire to improve systems, processes, and documentation
- Comfortable working in a Linux environment and administrating Linux systems
- Use of Git or other similar version control system
- Use of Jira or other similar issue-tracking systems
- Use of Confluence or other similar wiki system
- Administrating systems such as Gitlab, Artifactory, Cobbler, Kubernetes, etc.
- Comfortable writing detailed design documents and presenting them for review
- Practical development using C++ or another similar OO language
- Code Review using Gitlab or other similar sytem
- Understands the software development lifecycle
- Understanding of Python development
- Familiarity with Qt
Benefits: In addition to a competitive salary, we provide a range of flexible benefits including:
- Auto Enrolment Retirement Savings Plan (up to 7% employer contribution)
- Group Life Assurance, Private Medical Insurance and Income Protection
- Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays and holiday buy/sell
- Discounts with travel, major retailers, family days out and much more
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free parking (subject to availability)
- Free mortgage advice
- Plus, a range of other flexible benefits
About L3Harris ASV Portchester: We are redefining the way the world works at sea with industry leading autonomous boat technology. We specialise in the design, manufacturing and operation of autonomous boats and control systems.
As the maritime industry’s autonomy partner of choice, we are powering the Royal Navy’s adoption of autonomous surface vehicle (ASV) technology as well as delivering autonomous capability to UK ports and harbours and offshore energy service providers. We have delivered more than 100 ASV systems.
Our success is due to the people we employ; if you are smart, adaptable, highly productive, a team player and relish the challenge that comes with solving difficult problems then L3Harris ASV is for you.
We take pride in the quality of our products, and we encourage our employees to take ownership and personal responsibility. Our goal is to provide an accessible work environment that empowers our teams to tackle complex problems. We value the best ideas, whether from an intern or a lead, and every individual can have a significant impact on our success
Further information: All of our roles require successful candidates to undergo and maintain a Baseline Personnel Security Standard and/or United Kingdom Security Vetting (UKSV) to obtain a Security Check (SC) without restrictions. In some instances Developed Vetting (DV) may be required. Please note that in the event that the required clearance cannot be obtained you may not be eligible for the role and/or any offer of employment may be withdrawn on grounds of national security.