Applications will ONLY be considered for candidates who are eligible to work in the United Kingdom.
We are looking for Software Engineer specialising in Control Systems to join our rapidly expanding software and control systems team. Our team is responsible for developing a broad range of software solutions across a broad range of vehicles, technologies, and customer systems.
Our control system is vertically integrated, so all successful candidates have broad opportunities to develop software solutions for user interaction, hardware & device interfacing, control & mission orchestration, situation awareness, sensor fusion, and data science & analytics; to administer and maintain our build systems and infrastructure; and to design and implement IP network and other comms solutions.
Control Systems specialists are responsible for developing software solutions that primarily relate to interfacing with hardware systems and their control. They work alongside other software engineers and integration engineers to design and develop overall solutions to meet customer needs, and frequently work very closely with integration engineers to bring up control systems for the first time. This role is especially varied and can include lots of customer interaction to really understand what the solution needs to be.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to: list key tasks
- Design and specification of the software elements of the control systems used by L3Harris ASV.
- Software development in a Linux and/or Windows based environment using C, C++, Qt framework, Python or other appropriate languages and frameworks.
- Contribute to developing software interfaces and protocol libraries to integrate various hardware components.
- Software development for Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs) using CoDeSys for hardware interfacing and control.
- Software developing using product-specific development environments where required.
- Configuration management and version control of vessel configuration, in-line with Infrastructure-as-Code (IaC) practices as far as practical.
- Production of design, test, handover, integration, and other technical documentation to agreed specifications.
- Participate in vessel integration activities, including factor, harbour, and sea acceptance trials.
- Work with customers, sales, system engineering and other appropriate areas to assist in defining and breaking down of detailed requirements.
- Provide estimates for resources and timescales to develop software.
- Dealing with the unique challenges that arise in the emerging area of autonomous boats.
- Contribute to software / business strategy and investment path
- Contribute to wider software activities and programmes
- Providing specialist advice to clients in specific areas
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills
- Inquisitive and keen to understand the detail
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong willingness to learn new systems and tools
- Strong desire to improve systems, processes, and documentation
- Practical development using C++ or another similar OO language
- Use of Git or other similar version control system
- Code Review using Gitlab or other similar sytem
- Understands the software development lifecycle
- Use of Jira or other similar issue-tracking systems
- Use of Confluence or other similar wiki system
- Comfortable writing detailed design documents and presenting them for review
- Developing software in a Linux environment
- Working within Linux shells (primarily Bash) both locally and remotely (i.e., over ssh)
- Exposure to hardware interfacing using RS232, CAN, Ethernet, or similar
- Understanding of Python development
- Understanding of control theory concepts
- Familiarity with PLC programming or similar
- Familiarity with Qt
- Familiarity with Ansible
Benefits: In addition to a competitive salary, we provide a range of flexible benefits including:
- Auto Enrolment Retirement Savings Plan (up to 7% employer contribution)
- Group Life Assurance, Private Medical Insurance and Income Protection
- Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays and holiday buy/sell
- Discounts with travel, major retailers, family days out and much more
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free parking (subject to availability)
- Free mortgage advice
- Plus, a range of other flexible benefits
About L3Harris ASV Portchester: We are redefining the way the world works at sea with industry leading autonomous boat technology. We specialise in the design, manufacturing and operation of autonomous boats and control systems.
As the maritime industry’s autonomy partner of choice, we are powering the Royal Navy’s adoption of autonomous surface vehicle (ASV) technology as well as delivering autonomous capability to UK ports and harbours and offshore energy service providers. We have delivered more than 100 ASV systems.
Our success is due to the people we employ; if you are smart, adaptable, highly productive, a team player and relish the challenge that comes with solving difficult problems then L3Harris ASV is for you.
We take pride in the quality of our products, and we encourage our employees to take ownership and personal responsibility. Our goal is to provide an accessible work environment that empowers our teams to tackle complex problems. We value the best ideas, whether from an intern or a lead, and every individual can have a significant impact on our success.
Further information: All of our roles require successful candidates to undergo and maintain a Baseline Personnel Security Standard and/or United Kingdom Security Vetting (UKSV) to obtain a Security Check (SC) without restrictions. In some instances Developed Vetting (DV) may be required. Please note that in the event that the required clearance cannot be obtained you may not be eligible for the role and/or any offer of employment may be withdrawn on grounds of national security.