Applications will ONLY be considered from candidates who are eligible to work in the United Kingdom.
We are looking to appoint a Software Engineer - Autnomy to join our growing team.
We are looking for an individual who will share the team’s passion for technology and contribute to the team in delivering growing opportunities within autonomy. In return, you will get to work in a passionate, creative and diverse team, where we share and create ideas collaboratively and you will be able to see how your contribution makes a real difference.
This role would be well suited to an individual who would like to work within technology to develop new R&D capabilities and see those through to products. The candidate would be enthused by the cutting edge nature of autonomy research, and can make practical engineering decisions to help delivery.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Lead and champion elements of the design and evolution of our higher level autonomy capability.
- Take ownership for elements of our existing software capabilities for Autonomy
- Integrate with external partners to fit our capability into the wider system-of-systems mission planning gand tasking frameworks.
- Help shape the platform autonomy architecture and solutions
- As part of a wider team explore and develop solutions to optimise the human and machine partnership.
- Engage with customers and partners to understand their requirements.
- Use this knowledge to prioritise and trade-off development of a minimum viable product / prototype / deliverable against longer term more general or flexible implementation options.
- Work with the sales team, product managers and others to scope and articulate the art-of-the-possible to shape proposals, estimates and plans for future projects.
- Work closely with the Software Leads and Project Managers, to appropriately plan, deliver and support projects and trials including both the internal and external integration and testing activities.
- Champion our autonomy capabilities internally by translating between the specific technology inside the black box and explaining the benefits, dependencies and constraints outside the box.
- Degree (or equivalent) in computer science, software engineering, or similarly mathematical discipline.
- Working knowledge of working with autonomous systems and technology.
- Broad knowledge of testing and evaluating data structures, algorithms and common software architecture.
- Experience integrating software and hardware systems together with associated diagnosing and trouble shooting.
- Understanding of networking and middleware technologies and protocols (e.g. DDS, JSON, XML, REST, sockets etc).
- Experience with developing C++, Python or Ruby applications in a Linux environment.
- Appreciation of Ansible, Docker, Containerised/VM deployment, and VCS tools.
Benefits: In addition to a competitive salary, we provide a range of flexible benefits including:
- Auto Enrolment Retirement Savings Plan (up to 7% employer contribution)
- Group Life Assurance, Private Medical Insurance and Income Protection
- Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays and holiday buy/sell
- Discounts with travel, major retailers, family days out and much more
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free parking (subject to availability)
- Free mortgage advice
- Plus, a range of other flexible benefits
About L3Harris ASV Portchester: We are redefining the way the world works at sea with industry leading autonomous boat technology. We specialise in the design, manufacturing and operation of autonomous boats and control systems.
As the maritime industry’s autonomy partner of choice, we are powering the Royal Navy’s adoption of autonomous surface vehicle (ASV) technology as well as delivering autonomous capability to UK ports and harbours and offshore energy service providers. We have delivered more than 100 ASV systems.
Our success is due to the people we employ; if you are smart, adaptable, highly productive, a team player and relish the challenge that comes with solving difficult problems then L3Harris ASV is for you.
We take pride in the quality of our products, and we encourage our employees to take ownership and personal responsibility. Our goal is to provide an accessible work environment that empowers our teams to tackle complex problems. We value the best ideas, whether from an intern or a lead, and every individual can have a significant impact on our success.
Further information: All of our roles require successful candidates to undergo and maintain a Baseline Personnel Security Standard and/or United Kingdom Security Vetting (UKSV) to obtain a Security Check (SC) without restrictions. In some instances Developed Vetting (DV) may be required. Please note that in the event that the required clearance cannot be obtained you may not be eligible for the role and/or any offer of employment may be withdrawn on grounds of national security.