milkFloat is a highly autonomous team within BAE Systems Digital Intelligence that harnesses learnings and ways of working from the startup community and applies them to the benefit of our National Security customers. We work at the forefront of our parent organisation to utilise the best of latest technology, engineering best practices and cloud offerings to present new and exciting opportunities to our customers. Our work is highly varied and our methods accelerate and champion innovative solutions to our customers’ hardest problems through a set of short, dynamic, focused offerings.
JOB ROLE AND SUMMARY
At milkFloat we’re passionate about solving our customers' hardest problems. We leverage new ways of working and the best of modern technology to provide tailored offerings that adapt to our customers needs and relentlessly focus on providing actionable insight and compelling prototypes. Working as part of our highly experienced, multi-disciplinary team, our talented engineers are central to this - applying their technical expertise, creativity and problem solving skills to ensure our customers always get the best experience.
milkFloat is seeking a Technical Team Lead to front our new “Alpha Capability” - delivering pilot-grade solutions to our customers in regular 8-12 week projects. In this role, you will lead an agile, multi-disciplinary team of engineers, working across the stack to deliver compelling pilots of new capability for our National Security customers.
Building on innovative solution concepts and technical prototypes created during our “Solution Workshop” and “Rapid Prototyping” engagements respectively you will mature these into solutions that can be deployed into customer environments and trialed with end-users, ensuring the solution has all the right foundations for it to evolve into a sustainable, scaled, production capability in due course.
With innovation being central to our offerings, you will have the opportunity to regularly work with new technologies and work to combine these pragmatically with established technology, engineering and architectural best practice.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
As a milkFloat Technical Team Lead you will be responsible for:
- Setting the technical vision for the team
- Establishing overarching architecture and engineering standards.
- Evolving and delivering against the high-level design
- Managing engineers of a range of specialisms - empowering and unblocking them to succeed
- Working with customers to agree sprint goals & acceptance criteria.
- Contributing to story delivery
- Story definition, allocation & tracking
- Tracking and reporting progress
- Experience as an established or emerging technical team leader - able to direct, manage and empower a team of engineers to successfully deliver against agreed outcomes.
- Deep familiarity with agile methodologies and ceremonies (e.g. Scrum)
- Familiar with and comfortable with a breadth of technologies across the stack and a strong appreciation of how they can be combined and applied to solve customer problems.
- A particular specialism in either front-end or server-side technologies and keen and able to contribute directly to team tasks where necessary.
- Strong communication skills - comfortable in customer-facing situations and able to discuss technical approaches clearly with non-technical stakeholders
- Experience working “in the cloud”, using cloud-native patterns and building upon high-order cloud services (AWS experience preferable)
- Experience establishing a strong DevSecOps culture, with knowledge and experience of best practice continuous integration and delivery techniques and tooling.
- Experience with containers and container Orchestration Tools (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes, Openshift).
- Knowledge of front-end frameworks like React and application of design systems.
- Comfortable working with “big data” and associated technologies and patterns
- Experience working with Infrastructure-as-Code (Terraform/CDK)
- Experience of applying security best practice when writing code or configuring and deploying new technologies to cloud environments
- Knowledge of the Government Domain and High Side working
- We are a hybrid working team, working remotely utilising video conferencing, Slack, Trello and other collaboration tools, as well as working together in person in our exciting office spaces in central London. We decide on a week to week basis what combination will suit the team’s work-life balance and project commitments best.
Life at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day. By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance well-being.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds – the best and brightest minds – can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.
About BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
BAE Systems Digital Intelligence is home to 4,800 digital, cyber and intelligence experts. We work collaboratively across 16 countries to collect, connect and understand complex data, so that governments, nation states, armed forces and commercial businesses can unlock digital advantage in the most demanding environments.
Launched in 2022, Digital Intelligence is part of BAE Systems, and has a rich heritage in helping to defend nations and businesses around the world from advanced threats.