Salary: £25,702 - £27,938 or £31,931 - £34,709 per annum (dependent on skills and experience). A Specialist Allowance of up to £3,000 per annum is also available for this role.
Contract Type: Permanent Position
Hours: Full time
Location: Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Harwell, Oxfordshire
Come and do the kind of engineering that made you want to be an engineer. Stretch your technical skills while building human understanding. Promote sustainability and create new materials. Alongside world-leading scientists and technologists, shape projects that improve lives in the UK and far beyond.
Put simply, come and discover the impact you can make when you're equipped, encouraged and inspired to perform to your very best.
Are you someone who enjoys writing software applications to interact with hardware, either professionally or as a hobby? Discover the science your skills can enable by bringing your software engineering experience to our Central Laser Facility. The facility is one of the world's leading laser centres, providing scientists mainly from the UK and continental Europe with access to an unparalleled range of pioneering laser technology.
As a Software Engineer at this facility, depending on your experience, your duties will include:
- * Contributing to the design and development of hardware control systems.
- * Capturing requirements, software design, development, testing and documentation.
- * Working closely with scientists, electrical and mechanical engineers, and technicians to deliver a platform for world-class research.
We are looking for someone with:
- * A degree in a STEM subject or equivalent knowledge and experience.
- * Experience of developing well-designed, robust software in languages used in scientific or engineering applications (particularly C, C++, C#, Python).
- * Demonstrable experience of software development across all lifecycle activities and applying good development practices.
What we offer
We are offering a permanent position with a whole host of benefits including:
- * 30 days holiday annually (in addition to 10.5 bank holidays and privilege days).
- * Flexible working hours.
- * An excellent defined average salary pension scheme.
- * Employee shopping/travel discounts.
- * Excellent learning and development opportunities.
- * Visa Sponsorship for candidates applying outside of the UK.
Plus many more benefits and wellbeing initiatives that enable our employees to have a great work life balance!
UKRI is an Equal Opportunity & Disability Confident Employer.
We ask some of the biggest questions in the universe, to answer some of the biggest challenges in the world. Together, our scientists, technologists, engineers and business-support team explore the unknown across every field you could think of. And they turn what they find into work that changes the world around us.
What could you achieve with the world-leading facilities and experts of one of Europe's largest research organisations by your side? Join us and discover what's possible.
For full details on the role, please visit our careers site https://www.careersportal.co.uk/UKRI-careers/jobs/software-engineer-2167.
Please submit an application including your CV and a Cover Letter that clearly showcases how your skills and experience align to the requirements of the role. If you experience any difficulties with applying online, please contact us on or call us on 07842 034 698.
Closing Date: 4th September 2022