We are a world class research-intensive university. We deliver teaching and learning of the highest quality. We play a leading role in economic, social and cultural development of the North East of England. Attracting and retaining high-calibre people is fundamental to our continued success.
What’s in it for you? Newcastle University is a great place to work, with excellent benefits. We have a generous holiday package; plus the opportunity to buy more, great pension schemes and a number of health and wellbeing initiatives to support you.
Newcastle is an inclusive global University community where everyone is treated with dignity and respect. As a University of Sanctuary, we aim to provide a welcoming place of safety for all, offering opportunities to people fleeing violence and persecution.
Newcastle University is committed to being a fully inclusive Global University which actively recruits, supports and retains colleagues from all sectors of society. We value diversity as well as celebrate, support and thrive on the contributions of all our employees and the communities they represent. We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from everybody, regardless of race, sex, ethnicity, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital status/civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, as well as being open to flexible working practices.
Salary: £32,348 to £34,308 with progression to £42,155 per annum
Closing Date: 6 September 2022
As a 2021 Times Higher Education Award winner of the Outstanding Estates Team and Outstanding Technician of the Year, we are excited to be sourcing an experienced Electrical Engineer to join our Improvements Team. This is a strategic role that supports an in-house design service who provide building surveying and M&E engineering design services to the University.
The role will be responsible for the delivery of an electrical design service, this will include overseeing and participating in the full project life cycle, covering key areas such as design, procurement, installation, and commissioning.
To achieve this you will have a proven track record as an Electrical Building Services Engineer, working within multi-discipline design teams and contributing to the delivery of multiple complex projects. It is important that you can manage conflicting priorities and to influence programmes of works, with a sound knowledge of construction technology and construction management.
We are keen to hear from people who share our passion in achieving our Net Zero Carbon goal by 2030, through an understanding of sustainable construction methods and technologies.
The Estates and Facilities (E&F) team has responsibility for the safe, efficient and effective development and management of the University academic and residential estate. The estate is seen as a strategic enabler in support of the University Vision and Strategy.
This role will close when we find a suitable candidate and we will contact you within a week of your application to advise you of the outcome.
If this is you, we want to hear from you. To talk to us or arrange a visit please contact Adam Hamilton, Head of Improvements (Estates). Telephone 0191 2083436, email email@example.com
- You will undertake the lead role in multi discipline projects and will make decisions on the development and cost-effective delivery of:
- Engineering Improvement schemes, either as stand-alone projects or part of Building Improvement Schemes
- Single and multi-discipline Long Term Maintenance schemes across the University’s Estate
- Manage from inception to completion major projects funded from School, Faculty, revenue and long-term maintenance funds
- Preparation of feasibility reports, project budgets and supporting planning statements. Management of the project budget and monitoring the financial position, making meaningful comparisons against budget. Preparation of realistic estimates and continuous financial position of projects
- Support Improvements and Sustainability team colleagues to ensure all projects consider the University sustainable policy, initiatives and targets
- Identify, investigate and recommend schemes where directed for funding bids for Improvement schemes and against Long Term Maintenance and reserves
- To manage Health & Safety and undertake the role of Principal Designer and other duties where required under the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015, including design risk assessments, preparation of pre-construction health & safety information and the preparation of the Health & Safety files for completed projects. Ensure that all legislation such as Legionella, Electricity at Work, Asbestos, Fire, COSHH, Health & Safety etc. are effectively applied
- Ensure that Service Level Standards are met for all services provided in order to meet the University’s requirements within the constraints imposed by budget allocations
- To prepare design and tender drawings, specifications and contract documents for building and engineering projects and procure works including tender analysis reports. Carry out contract administration of these projects to ensure successful completion including full cost control and settling of final accounts. Taking a lead role in delivering the projects including the programming and monitoring of contractors and works
- Provide training and advice to colleagues and other staff. Promote teamwork and multidisciplinary working in staff. Assist with staff recruitment as necessary
- Assist in the provision of reports which demonstrate the effectiveness of the services. E.g. reports on continual improvement and reports showing performance against set targets
- Liaise with Heads of School, client estate representatives, Professional Services, Faculties and adjacent occupants, as required, to advise on the potential implications and disruption caused by improvement constructive activities, implement and co-ordinate all necessary actions to minimise disturbance
- Proactively support the soft landings processes
- Liaise with the Capital Development and Maintenance Divisions and persuade or advise of appropriate standards for plant, materials and equipment in order to optimise the whole life cost of projects. Check pre-tender documentation form consultants prior to it being sent to contractors for tender and ensure that University standards are being met
- Handover completed projects to the client and advise Operation and Maintenance staff. Ensure that commissioning has been carried out correctly and that systems operate as designed and in line with university requirements
- Provide all relevant professional and technical advice, where appropriate, to the Head of Improvements, Capital Developments, Professional Support Service, maintenance Division and Outside Agency Representatives on all aspects of project issues regarding options, recommendations, costings and alternative solutions. Liaise, consult and negotiate with University staff at all levels and organisations availing themselves of our services e.g. NHS, Tenants, Commercial businesses
- To monitor the performance and quality of works carried out by Consultants and Contractors and analyse client feedback to ensure that all works are managed in accordance with agreed Service Level Standards in terms of efficiency, responsiveness and cost effectiveness of the overall service provided. Continually monitor and review value for money and service standard
- Undertake other duties as and when required
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- A sound working knowledge of legislation and regulations relating to: Building Regulations, Asbestos, Legionella, Electricity, Health & Safety, Construction Design and Management (CDM), Equality Act, etc
- High level of computer literacy, in particular AutoCAD and Office applications
- Proficient in the use of other relevant software packages such as those used in design and specification of engineering projects – MEPWorx, NBS Chorus etc
- Can evidence a track record of maintaining and developing knowledge through continuing professional development (CPD)
- Proven organisational ability and people management skills
- The ability to adopt industry best practice, system modifications and new procedures in order to optimise the level of service provided
- Budget management experience and the delivery of value for money projects
- The post holder needs to be personable, a good communicator and have the ability to write clear concise reports
- The ability to develop innovative solutions to problems
- Post qualification experience, wide knowledge of building services design and construction experience of contract and project management
- An understanding, backed up by experience, of planning, organising and delivering excellent customer service is a major element of this post
- Interest in maintenance, energy management and cost control systems
- Experience in or of working with higher education or other public sector organisations would be an advantage but not essential
- Experience using BMS software
- As this role will require design work to be carried out in the delivery of projects, recent design experience would be an advantage but not essential
Attributes and Behaviours
- The post holder will be required to possess a proven ability to:
- Analyse issues and resolve problems, frequently involving lateral thinking to provide alternative solutions
- Meet specific targets and deadlines
- Asses the risks to Health and Safety before undertaking any work
Planning and Organising
- Works in a planned and structured way
- Uses own and others time effectively
- Sets own priorities in conjunction with team and area objectives
- Plans workload and tasks in a systematic way
- Ensures all activities are completed on time
- Uses initiatives to sort things out, is enterprising in effective use of material, financial and human resources
- Looks at ways of overcoming obstacles rather than coming to a standstill
- Confidently deals with a broad range of information
- Keeps and open mind to alternative ways of doing things
- Getting the job done well
- Sees other departments and colleagues as “customers” and follows through their enquiries and requests
- Keeps fellow team members up to date with progress
- Co-operates with others in achieving targets
- Takes responsibility for achieving own targets
- Strives to deliver high quality results
- Is enthusiastic in getting the job done on time
- Encourages others to get involved
- Willing to help others and share workloads
- Supportive of team decisions
- Keeps other team members up to date with progress
- Shares relevant and useful information with others
- Can put forward own view whilst listening and respecting the views and opinions of others
- Clear and concise; gets the message across to others
- Chooses communication tools appropriately e.g. selective use of emails and other channels of communication
- A degree in an appropriate engineering discipline or an appropriate professional qualification, C.Eng or I.Eng or studying towards a professional qualification
- A relevant management qualification
The University holds a silver Athena SWAN award in recognition of our good employment practices for the advancement of gender equality. The University also holds the HR Excellence in Research award for our work to support the career development of our researchers, and is a member of the Euraxess initiative supporting researchers in Europe.
Requisition ID: 21581