Main Purpose of Job:
We are seeking an enthusiastic degree qualified manager (or equivalent) to lead a growing safety engineering team. The successful applicant will lead a team of safety engineers from both a technical and resource perspective, supporting a broader team of engineers in delivering maritime automation systems. The applicant shall have worked in a safety management and engineering environment, be familiar with engineering processes and possess a strong appreciation of systems engineering fundamentals and a flair for leading teams.
Primarily responsible as the Safety Manager for the design, implementation and governance of the Safety & Environmental Management System and promotion of a safety culture relevant to design and delivery of systems, through the business.
Carry out Safety Engineering resource management, monitor and conduct performance reviews, monitor and maintain resource demand. Support the development and maintenance of safety engineering capability via maintenance of the company’s safety framework system and ensure its fitness for purpose for embodying a safety culture within the engineering development teams.
Apply Safety Engineering leadership in the technical domain. Apply strategic direction to the construction of credible safety cases, product development and ensuring robust safety engineering quantitative and qualitative analysis has been scoped and carried out to high standards in order to underpin such safety cases.
Undertake safety engineering tasks and analysis, provide in depth knowledge of safety regulations and standards, as well as their application to marine automation systems.
Leads, directs, and reviews the work of professionals or lower level supervisors. Communicates within and outside own function to explain and gain cooperation on policies and practices. Makes moderate to substantial improvements to processes, systems, and solutions. Plans and establishes goals and objectives for a team with direct impact on the short-term operational results for the department. Requires practical knowledge in leading/managing projects, processes, and employees and has strong knowledge within professional discipline.
- Ensure that the SEMS is deployed as defined by the customer, contractual and legislative requirements.
- Manage the production of a set of maturity matrix reflecting the maturity of the SEMS and safety culture
- Ensure safety engineering staff are enabled to execute their roles effectively and efficiently.
- Carry out annual performance reviews for safety engineering staff
- Support the development of safety engineering capability within the company (process and tools)
- Experience working with engineering development teams producing both hardware and software from design through to delivery.
- Experienced in design and review processes
- Collaborate with other business functions to produce and review broader engineering artefacts relevant to safety
- Safety Engineering
- Manage production of safety argument and justification
- Knowledge or safety and environmental legislation and regulations.
- Definition of strategic plans for creating credible Safety Cases, using appropriate techniques
- Knowledge of both quantitative and qualitative techniques for analysing failures of both software and hardware, using appropriate:
- Hazard identification and analysis
- Statistical techniques
- Quantitative reliability/failure analysis
- Assessment of compliance to best practice standards and development guides
- Experience of delivering accepted safety cases for complex systems
- Working directly with customer community to develop safety cases and underpinning analysis
- Understand the hazards and level of safety risk likely to be present in a supplier’s product / service and is able to formally assess and challenge the supplier for demonstration and compliance with safety requirements.
- Support lower level decomposition of safety requirements traceable to customer requirements;
Knowledge, Skills And Experience:
- Equivalent of 7+ years’ safety engineering experience working on complex engineering projects;
- Equivalent of 1+ years’ management experience working on complex engineering projects;
- Experience of Hazard Management and Risk Assessment
- Confident in both software and hardware development environments
- Able to understand detail and a low level of fidelity in technical decision making;
- Good planning, communications, and co-ordination skills;
- Excellent PC skills