BAE Systems Digital Intelligence works with governments and businesses around the world to help them defend against cyber threats, reduce their risk in the connected world, comply with regulation and transform their operations.
The Wireless Products group works with customers to develop innovative mission critical technology. Applications include software radios, space technology and underwater systems.
We are looking for bright, enthusiastic and committed individuals to work as electronics engineers in one of our customer-facing product teams. Relevant industry experience is preferable but most of all we are looking for bright, enthusiastic and committed individuals with a strong academic background and the ability to learn quickly.
We have a range of roles available, from graduate entry through to experienced engineers. We are interested in hearing from anyone who can make a strong contribution to our work.
What you could be doing for us
We’d like to hear from people keen to develop their career in engineering who have a baseline of experience in some or all of the following areas that we cover:
- RF PCB development. We design a variety of RF circuit boards ranging from low power embedded sensors, designed for use in harsh environments, through to high performance analogue designs for radio equipment covering bands from VLF through to millimetre wave systems. This development may involve modelling (eg using Matlab, Agilent ADS, CST, Spice etc) as well as schematic capture and RF circuit board layout.
- Digital, mixed signal and power PCB development. We develop a wide range of boards such as state-of-the art digital signal processing platforms incorporating the latest FPGAs, SoCs and processors.
- Mechanical design and system integration. We design chassis and enclosures for our PCBs to ensure the optimum solution for its intended environment. The designs have to be easily assembled and repaired through life but also provide for cooling and protection in challenging environments. This work often involves compliance testing for CE, airborne, military and space applications.
- System engineering. Most of our solutions comprise of a blend of hardware, firmware and software. Early in the development lifecycle you will be involved in the design activity responsible for partitioning the functionality in to these domains taking into account the requirements and constraints.
- Development work, depending on the level of seniority, will include:
- Client interaction to understand and influence requirements, deliver solutions and be involved in bidding for new work.
- Development team lead, including mentoring junior engineering staff.
- Research and monitoring of developments in relevant technology to maintain and enhance our leading-edge capability.
- The main emphasis of this role is the implementation and delivery of hardware solutions; advice and support from senior technical specialists is expected to be provided, particularly in the early stages of design
What background are we looking for?
We are looking for ambitious, high-calibre people with the following characteristics:
- Highly motivated with a strong academic background typically in Engineering or Physics a 2:1 or 1st class degree.
- Understanding of the principles of PCB circuit design and layout.
- Understanding of the principles of mechanical design. Experience with 3D CAD would be an advantage, but is not essential.
- Proven record of set-to-work and verification of complex hardware, sometimes under demanding project timescales.
- Competent in the use of laboratory measurement equipment (eg oscilloscopes, spectrum analysers, vector network analysers etc).
- An appreciation of the technologies involved in software radio.
- Experience in the use of software and firmware development tools and environments, e.g. C/C++, Java, Linux, particularly as needed to support hardware test and debug.
- Comfortable working on multiple projects at the same time and in a dynamic environment where deadlines and priorities are changeable.
- Experience of working within multi-disciplinary development teams in a project-based environment.
- Client-facing experience and influencing skills, as well as strong inter-personal skills.
- Experience of designing products for production.
- Experience of designing products for compliance against industry standards (eg CE, FCC, DEF STAN).
How we will support you:
- Work-life balance is important; you’ll get 25 days holiday a year and, via our flexible benefits package the option to buy/sell and carry over from the year before
- Our flexible benefits package includes; private medical and dental insurance, a competitive pension scheme, cycle to work scheme, taste cards and more
- You’ll have a dedicated Career Manager to help you develop your career and guide you on your journey through BAE
- Don’t know a particular technology? Your learning and development is key to your future career
- You’ll be part of our bonus scheme
- You are welcome to join any/all of our Diversity and Support groups. These groups cover everything from gender diversity to mental health and wellbeing.
About BAE Systems Digital Intelligence:
We help nations, governments and businesses around the world defend themselves against cyber-crime, reduce their risk in the connected world, comply with regulation, and transform their operations. We do this using our unique set of solutions, systems, experience and processes.
Our success is down to our people. The changing nature of our business means that we’re constantly looking for the brightest talent to help us fulfil our ambitions. As an experienced professional, we’ll entrust you with responsibility; this means that you’ll have client contact, variety and support from day one.
We'll encourage and support you to develop your skills and reward you as you grow. Whatever your area of expertise, you'll be much more than just a job title; you'll be an integral part of the business where your individual contribution makes a difference every day. Great minds deserve great rewards, so we also offer a very competitive salary and benefits package.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. Staying competitive in today’s global marketplace requires an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds – the best and brightest minds – can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential. We also welcome discussions about flexible working.
Only those with the permanent and unrestricted right to live and work in the UK will be considered for a position within BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. Due to the nature of our work, successful candidates for this role will be required to go through Government SC clearance prior to starting with us. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/security-vetting-and-clearance
Life at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day. By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance wellbeing.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds – the best and brightest minds – can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.
About BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
We use our intelligence-led insights to help defend Governments, Nations and Societies from cyber-attacks and financial crime. Our customers depend on our evolving capabilities to help them safely grow their organisations. Our unprecedented access to threat intelligence, world-leading analysts and market-leading technology means we can help them to adapt, evolve and stay ahead of the criminals.
Division overview: Capabilities
At BAE Systems Digital Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and Capabilities is the engine that keeps the business moving forward. It is the largest area of Digital Intelligence, containing our Engineering, Consulting and Project Management teams that design and implement the defence solutions and digital transformation projects that make us a globally recognised brand in both the public and private sector.
As a member of the Capabilities team, you will be creating and managing the solutions that earn us our place in an ever changing digital world. We all have a role to play in defending our clients, and this is yours.