Safety & Reliability Engineer
Exciting opportunities for Safety & Reliability Engineer have arisen within a number of our Programmes. In all areas these roles involve working with a range of key business stakeholders both internal and external to support the delivery of key programme milestones thus enabling the delivery of our Defence strategy. This is how we create brilliance, which we should sell by letting the facts speak for themselves.
Defence Services is at the heart of the Defence business delivering the contracts and supporting our products in their day to day operations.
Supporting today’s products means ensuring Safety is at the heart of everything we do, both reactively and pro-actively, whilst enabling our customers to keep doing what they need to do. Rolls-Royce’s customers have entrusted us to deliver excellence, successful delivery against these programmes will ensure a satisfied and safe customer enabling the company to maintain our market share in the Naval, Defence Aero and combat markets.
The Safety & Reliability Engineer supports the team in understanding how the engine or system will deteriorate as it progresses through life and ultimately fail, determining what the resulting failure effects might be. There are several skills that are necessary to enable you to do this effectively:
- You need to be able to think about how things can fail as well as how they work. Whether failures are theoretical, or we are responding to actual events, an understanding of failure mechanisms and recognising possible event scenarios is key for this role.
- Failures will inevitably influence the product’s operation, so the ability to think “big picture” and to see how a component failure will escalate to impact the engine, platform, and ultimately the customer experience of the product is required.
- Failures are enumerated using statistical mathematics. Applicants should be comfortable with mathematics, and experience with statistical techniques to address uncertainty would be an advantage.
- Because of the wide range of systems that can fail in an engine, you will interact with a wide range of specialists and senior project figures. Key interactions are with the Life Cycle Engineering and Design Engineering functions. The ability to work with a broad range of specialists and projects and to be able to put complex ideas across to senior engineers is therefore desirable.
- A logical approach to problem solving and the ability to collect, filter and analyse data from design, test and service using various statistical techniques is relevant.
- To understand how engineering systems fail and to characterise those failures numerically using deterministic and probabilistic mathematical methods.
- To influence design through understanding how failures will affect system operation, and to analyse the resulting design, providing feedback on any impact this will have to the safety or reliability of the system.
- To advise the Chief Engineer on the risks that will affect the safety or reliability of his fleet. Work with the engineering teams to formally manage and mitigate these risks and ensure product safety is maintained.
- Carry out Safety & Reliability Analysis using techniques such as FMECA, Fault Tree Analysis, Quantitative Risk Assessment, and Functional Hazard Assessment
- To capture and numerically assess the causes of system rejections and provide them to the Services organisation to allow operational availability and cost to be managed.
Experience and Qualifications:
- You will be educated to degree level in a STEM subject and/ or have experience in a relevant engineering environment (Mechanical, Aeronautical, Electrical or Controls). Other qualifications, in combination with relevant experience, may also be considered.
- You will also be a Chartered Engineer or hold an affiliate / associate membership of a relevant professional body or be working towards Chartered/Incorporated status.
- Familiarity with the design, operation and environment of gas turbine engines.
- Knowledge and experience in applying Reliability & Safety processes and tools e.g. Hazard Analysis, Fault Tree Analysis (FTA), Failure Modes Effects & Criticality Analysis (FMECA), Quantitative Risk Assessment
You should be highly numerate with strong technical and analytical skills, problem-solving ability and capable of systems level thinking, including personal drive, excellent communication and presentation skills, and will need to contribute effectively in a team environment. You will be expected to take the lead in managing product safety and reliability within an engine product team.
We offer excellent development, a competitive salary and exceptional benefits. These include bonus, employee support assistance and employee discounts.
Pioneer the performance of the future. Join us and you’ll develop your skills and expertise to the very highest levels, working in an international environment for a company known the world over for brilliance and innovation.
Pioneers of Power
We are an equal opportunities employer. We’re committed to developing a diverse workforce and an inclusive working environment. We believe that people from different backgrounds and cultures give us different perspectives. And the more perspectives we have, the more successful we’ll be. By building a culture of respect and appreciation, we give everyone who works here the opportunity to realise their full potential.
So that you can be your best at work and home, we’ll consider flexible working arrangements for everyone, in any role.