WHAT TO EXPECT
Vehicle Dynamics is the team within Body and Chassis Engineering responsible for delivering the driven attributes of Vehicle Dynamics - Steering, Ride and Handling - for all core Jaguar Land Rover products.
The Roll Stability Control System (RSC) is an essential element of active safety for the modern SUV. The system takes information from various sensors on the vehicle, combining that information with an internal Vehicle Dynamics model to anticipate the vehicle behaviour, and applies engine torque and individual wheel braking activity in order to prevent two-wheel lift, which is a precursor to a vehicle rollover event.
The controller software, which is designed in-house at Jaguar Land Rover, interfaces with the vehicle through the ABS controller. Development of the controller functions, tuning of the vehicle State Estimation and calibration of the controller action is all carried out by the RSC calibration team within Vehicle Dynamics.
This role, working within Vehicle Dynamics in the Active Systems Tuning Team, is for Lead RSC engineer. The Lead RSC Engineer is responsible for overall delivery of the final RSC calibration and its validation, including all planning for people, vehicle and parts management required to meet the necessary software delivery timeline for the vehicle programme.
It may also involve supporting aspects of controller design, requirements writing, and testing /development alongside internal partners. To be successful, the candidate will need to possess a high level of drive and leadership, be capable of independent working and display a systematic approach to solving technical problems.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
Work with System and Commodity teams to ensure timely delivery of calibrations across all systems.Work with Vehicle Dynamics project leaders and lead tuners to ensure sufficient virtual or physical resources are in place to support developmentWork with systems layer partners, System Architects and virtual engineering community, supporting them to develop virtual methods for control systems simulation.Work with Lead Engineers to develop effective controller strategies, ensuring all required functionality is built-in.Liaising with suppliers to ensure road release and software calibration plans are met.Provide sign-off reports and close off requirements in RMDVKeep abreast of competitor and industry trends applicable to active systems. * Support the team towards understanding of complex technical issues and their resolution
WHAT YOU NEED
Knowledge, Skills and experience
* High level of expertise in Vehicle Dynamics attribute or stability with proven track record of delivery.
* Experience of tuning a Stability Control System
* Understanding of Systems Engineering principles in relation to Vehicle Dynamics
* Proven track record of analysing controllers and applying the learning in a virtual or physical vehicle environment
* Experience with Bosch MM6, Vector and INCA toolset.
* Understanding of Control Systems function and design including problem definition and resolution
* Proving Ground experience and minimum 3PG qualification including high mu and low mu limit handling
* Calibration experience across Stability Control Systems would be an advantage
* Experience with relevant virtual tools such as Simpack, Carmaker, Matlab/Simulink
* Engineering relevant degree qualification
* Whole vehicle engineering knowledge and cross functional experience
* Previous experience of problem-solving tools e.g. Root Cause Analysis, 8 Disciplines of problem solving
* Experience with DOORS and RMDV requirements management tool
* Experience in the application of HiL and / or SiL for system development and validation