It has been acknowledged that greater focus is required on data governance and quality so Applied Intelligence is growing its capacity and capability. Data governance is the process of managing the usage, integrity and security of our business systems data based on the internal standards and polices developed. The team strive to ensure effective governance to improve the consistency and trustworthiness of the data to prevent it being misused. To support effective data governance the team are also the driving force behind data quality improvement activities. This is the root cause analysis of the core AI data sets to recommend system fix, process change, cleansing and control reporting. Ultimately our mission is to continuously improve and protect our core data to reduce operational cost, increase revenue and protect ourselves from security breaches. The role will be to support the master data leads by creating data quality reporting and dashboards. The Database Engineer will work quickly to develop more supported data models and reports than the manual ones currently being managed by the Master Data leads and will focus some of their time on developing a wider solution for data quality reporting, providing insight into where the Master Data leads will root cause next.
What you’ll be doing
- Design, develop and implement a complex database system for data quality
- Ingesting and modelling the data before creating reporting and dashboard solutions for the MD leads and head of master data.
- Monitoring, optimising, troubleshooting and performance tuning of the DQ database.
- Developing and maintaining backup and disaster recovery plans.
- Working closely with the IT engineering DB team to ensure architectural and solution principles adhered to.
- Upgrading, patching, and general database maintenance.
What we’re looking for
- Reporting Requirements Gathering
- Install, configure & support of MS SQL Server 2012, 2014, 2016, 201
- Experience with Performance Tuning and Optimisation (PTO), using native monitoring and troubleshooting tools.
- Database upgrade planning and execution
- Database patching
- Experience with backups, restores and recovery models
- DB Security design, implementation and monitoring
- Application security
- Capacity Planning
- SQL and PL/SQL troubleshooting, coding and optimisation
- Understanding of how the underpinning infrastructure (OS, virtual infrastructure, physical infrastructure) impacts Database design and operations – collaboration with teams that manage those areas
- Very strong attention to detail
Life at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day. By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance wellbeing.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds – the best and brightest minds – can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.
About BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
BAE Systems Digital Intelligence is home to 4,800 digital, cyber and intelligence experts. We work collaboratively across 16 countries to collect, connect and understand complex data, so that governments, nation states, armed forces and commercial businesses can unlock digital advantage in the most demanding environments.
Launched in 2022, Digital Intelligence is part of BAE Systems, and has a rich heritage in helping to defend nations and businesses around the world from advanced threats.
Division overview: Functions
At BAE Systems Digital Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and the business could not operate without all the dedicated work of our Functions teams. From Finance & Operations through Communications & Marketing, to HR and Site Operations and more, our Functions teams enable our divisions to implement ground-breaking digital transformations and crucial defence software.
As part of Functions, you will be supporting and partnering with our global business from the backline, being a strategic advisor within your specialist area, and ensuring the business runs smoothly and efficiently. We all have a role to play in defending our clients; and this is yours.