Stevenage MBDA Missile Systems - Deliver for a more secure tomorrow
As a Principal System Engineer within the newly formed Future Products department
; part of Missile Design UK: Emerging Portfolio & Capability function, you will be assigned to take on a variety of roles in support of MBDA's Vision 2040. Each role will work into either Future Systems or Tactical Strike Missile - New Business areas.
Early phase design cycle skills combining core System Engineering, Business development, Customer & User engagements, technology applicability and new functionality areas.
Road-mapping / Requirement elicitation, bidding for new work, understanding capability, corralling multi-disciplinary teams.
Develop & nurture new skills for Early Phase activities. This could include using System Design tools, such as DOORS for requirements, Rhapsody for Model
Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) and Design Maturity Assessments.
Within the Department, you'll tackle a variety of activities to develop Weapon & Missile Concepts, support bids, understand technology roadmaps and deploy new working practices, such as Agile.
Support multiple products across future systems and new business areas. Current projects supported:
What are we looking for?
- Future Combat Air System / Tempest;
- Future Air Defence/Dominance e.g. next generation Air-to-air and Surface-to-air systems;
- Tactical Strike New Business
- Future Strike & Concepting;
- Land Precision Strike & Future Battlefield Capabilities;
- Complex Weapons - Innovation & Technology Partnership with France.
What's in it for you?
- The confidence to embrace the uncertain nature of early concept development and technologies to progress towards defining solutions and system concepts;
- Good Systems Engineering knowledge, alongside the ability and desire to test new techniques and use new methods to develop concepts and complete system trade studies;
- Experience of weapons systems and missile design, including systems trade studies is beneficial;
- A solid understanding of weapon systems, platforms and missile sub-systems;
- To be able to negotiate and influence a broad range of internal and external partners to secure the right outcome;
- Experience of planning and task management important;
- Knowledge of DOORS, Rhapsody and systems design analysis tools e.g. Pugh Matrix / QFD / etc, beneficial.
Typical activities include:
- This is a highly dynamic role with lots of joint working across our business including the other key functions (Aerodynamics, Guidance, Control & Navigation, Mechanical Design)as well as key business elements, such as Sales & Business Development and Strategy.
- Work with new technology to develop brand new capabilities and designs;
- This is a new department, so there is significant opportunity to both shape it and grow with it;
- The role will develop, including functionally within Systems Engineering, with a broad skill base, across technology and systems engineering processes;
- The outcomes you deliver will directly influence MBDA's future solutions to our Customers;
- Opportunity to lead small and multidiscipline teams in order to achieve the goals of the projects;
- Support the development of the systems engineering concepting skills within Future Products.
Join a great team!
- Core Systems Engineering activities including:
- Exploring Customer needs to develop and elicit requirements;
- Support and influence the design of new concepts, to the refine them with a mutli-discipline team;
- Concept capability analysis and competitor product technical performance analysis;
- Trade Studies and assessment.
- Develop and deploy systems engineering methods and technical authorisation;
- Technical bid generation and support to contract award;
- Supporting customer focused Experiments, using a wide range of techniques and tools including war-games and synthetic environments;
- Supporting future weapon system planning and product roadmaps;
- Exploiting and influencing Research and Technology activities.
- This is a growing team shaping the way MBDA develops concepts for our Customers;
- There is a breadth of experience to draw upon through the Future Products cohort;
- The opportunity to influence a new approach to Future Products systems engineering department;
- There will be significant exposure to a wide set of Future Systems activities and higher partners, which also shape the business.
*Flexible working *opportunities for career progression *paid overtime (subject to level) *great bonus scheme *comprehensive pension scheme *annual salary review *fantastic working environment and site facilities *social, charitable and sporting activities.Why us?
MBDA is an award winning company; committed to providing an inclusive working environment where our employees can be themselves and everyone has equal opportunity to reach their full potential. We value difference and know that a diverse community makes for greater innovation and brings a breadth of skills, experience and perspectives.
We're here to help and want to ensure you have a positive experience throughout our recruitment process. We recognise that everyone is unique, and we encourage you to speak to us should you require any advice, support or adjustments.
MBDA is a proud member of Working Families - the UK's work-life balance organisation. We welcome applicants who are looking for flexible working arrangements.
We understand that flexibility benefits our people, our teams and our business; wherever possible we will seek to accommodate a blended approach to on-site and remote working.
Follow MBDA on LinkedIn (MBDA), Twitter (@MBDAcareers) and Instagram (lifeatMBDA_UK).Please Note:
MBDA UK requires all employees to achieve the appropriate clearance relevant to the role!