By 2050, the planet could be using twice as much electricity compared to today. Are you interested in contributing and helping to shape the future of the world’s energy? If so, read on.
Fusion, the process that powers the Sun and Stars, is one of the most promising options for generating the cleaner, carbon-free energy that our world badly needs. UKAEA are at the forefront of realising energy from fusion, working with industry and research partners to deliver the ground-breaking developments that will underpin tomorrow's fusion power stations with the aim of bringing fusion electricity to the grid.
RACE (Remote Applications in Challenging Environments) is based at Culham, within UKAEA, specialising in remote handling and automated systems. RACE’s objective is to create an internationally recognised centre of technical leadership for Remote Applications in Challenging Environments, delivering complex solutions, developing new technologies and supporting UK industry.
As we work towards our mission and goals, UKAEA has devised values that capture the spirit of how we work. These values include being: Innovative, Committed, Trusted and Collaborative.
RAICo is an exciting new end user led Robotics and AI Collaboration, that brings together fission decommissioning and fusion engineering. It combines the expertise of UKAEA, Sellafield, the NDA and others to deliver a number of key objectives, including:
- The operationalisation of 'this gen' robotics into the nuclear sector.
- Developing remotely operated solutions for decommissioning and a future fusion power plant.
- Developing intelligent customer and supply chain capability and capacity.
- Socio-economic impact in Cumbria.
Who are we looking for?
We are recruiting for a Principal Technologist – Digital to be an expert, providing technical leadership on a range of complex robotic digital technology-related projects within RACE. You will focus on leading the development of digital technologies required to support end user needs in the nuclear decommissioning sector, supporting both nuclear fusion and fission applications. As a Principal Technologist you will work closely with our Engineers and Managers to help inform their strategy and to ensure our teams are delivering to a high quality and are aligned to UKAEA vision.
As part of the role, you will be producing high-quality software and providing software engineering expertise to the project teams. You will coach and support Lead Software Engineers to steer their teams towards success. You will also be responsible for hiring and line managing Lead Software Engineers.
What will you be responsible for?
- Ensuring high quality engineering outputs, knowledge transfer and appropriate technological alignment between Robotic and Artificial Intelligence related work-packages and projects.
- Contributing expert level design knowledge of digital systems.
- Co-ordinating the implementation of the integration with robotic and intelligent systems.
- Delivering project technical outputs in accordance with time, quality, cost, and risk performance criteria.
There are 3 roles available, 2 will be based in Cumbria and 1 at Culham in Oxfordshire. You will travel between both locations as required - this is not expected to be extensive. On a monthly basis, this could typically be represented as 3 weeks at one location and one week at the other.
- Engineering or technical subject or equivalent knowledge and experience.
- Degree in Software.
- A proven ability of technical leadership in a complex project delivery environment.
- Proven expertise's in Software Development.
- Proven expertise in software for robotics and remote handling.
- Extensive industry experience working in software engineering or related field.
- Strong programming capability to develop working, understandable software in at least one language used in relevant applications.
- A strong understanding of software engineering techniques and design principles, including life-cycle, version control and documentation.
- Experience with good development practices throughout the software development life-cycle such as version control and testing.
- Strong ability to apply software design principles, and manage the software quality of other team members.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills and a proven ability to lead and function as part of a team. Strong track record of interacting with senior stakeholders.
- Experience with Robotics / Machine Learning / Computer Vision / Automated Planning
- Experience of mathematical modelling and optimisation
- Familiarity with system modelling
- An interest in mobile robotics and engineering
- Understanding of sensor fusion techniques
- PhD in a related Robotics and AI subject
- Membership of a Professional Institution / Chartered Engineer
What we offer
Our comprehensive benefits package includes a vibrant culture committed to being fully inclusive, an Employee Assistance Programme and trained Mental Health First Aiders, Flexible working options including family friendly policies, Emergency paid leave, Generous annual leave allowance (30.5 days) increased with length of service, wide range of career development opportunities, outstanding defined benefit pension scheme; Corporate bonus scheme and a Relocation allowance (if eligible).
We welcome applications from under-represented groups, particularly from individuals from black and other ethnic minority backgrounds, including nationality and citizenship, people with disabilities and women. The Executive team with support from our ‘Equality, Diversity and Inclusion’ (EDI) Partner and Inclusion Ambassadors, is actively promoting EDI and taking steps to increase the diversity of our people through reinforcing best practice in recruitment and selection, and revaluating approaches where it is clear we can remove barriers to success.
Please be advised that this vacancy is due to close on 06/09/2022. We may close earlier than this date if large or sufficient numbers of applications are received.
Please note, all employees working at the UK Atomic Energy Authority will be required to complete an online Disclosure Certificate application as part of their clearance – The Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks will show the details of all current criminal convictions or will confirm that there are no such convictions.
Note for applicants who are applying for employment with UKAEA either from outside the United Kingdom or who have spent time outside the United Kingdom in the last five years. Please visit the UK Government website. If the country you are resident in or have resided in is not listed on this website or that the UK Government is not aware of how to obtain a criminal records check from that state then we are unable to process your application.