At Rolls-Royce Motor Cars our vision is to produce truly modern cars that define quality and luxury for the 21st century. Since production restarted in 2003 at Goodwood, the Rolls-Royce product portfolio has expanded from a single model into a selection of the finest vehicles attracting new and younger customers to the brand. We strive to push Rolls-Royce Motor cars with its current product range and newly defined third party products, services and experiences into the future, enrich the life of the ultra high net worth individuals, and achieve a truly customer centric ecosystem.
Bespoke has become a byword for delivering the richest client experience, and this role will be at the cutting edge of delivering content and features that support in the definition and delivery of what Bespoke epitomises into the future.
The Bespoke Project Engineer role is responsible for the management and delivery of component and system development activities across the relevant multi-departmental process-chain to ensure on time introduction and integration into Bespoke vehicle content.
The position is responsible for project planning and delivery engineering activities to the required detail in support of the tasks assigned by the Lead Engineer for the Electrical Engineering team.
Key accountabilities / experience required includes:
- To manage and carry out engineering activities including; Researching initial Concepts, Engineering Costing, Engineering Design, Risk Analysis, Centre of Competence Alignment, Test Planning & Validation, Project Planning and on-time Release of product parameters (product properties & function, costs, weight, quality, timing) as defined by feature sheets assigned by the Lead Engineer.
- Familiar with Software and/or Hardware design & manufacturing processes, including schematics & pcba.
- Electronics Laboratory skills, including use of scopes, signal generators, Vector CAN tool set.
- Familiar with Automotive Software development processes & Functional Modelling techniques.
- Complex Problem Investigation techniques, Problem Resolution & Reporting.
- Working closely with Suppliers & managing the supplier to deliver to plan.
Additional responsibilities can include:
- To lead the design & development of the bespoke components including the generation of Bill of Material, Specification documents, checking of CAD Data & wiring/pinning drawings and prepare information for Engineering System Release.
- To communicate with Series engineering stakeholders to agree the required Legal, Safety & group requirements the component or feature must adhere to & ensure the component designs are integrated within the series product packaging.
- To lead the Simultaneous Engineering Team for a commodity, carry out project management activities within the team of stakeholders from other functions and mediate any conflicts within the process chain.
- Establishing, agreeing, documenting tasks and requirements and assigning them to the correct stakeholders within the "Bespoke Engineering Team" and supporting the tasks assigned from the Lead Engineer.
- To financially evaluate bespoke features for Engineering relevant budget costs including Make-or-Buy, Testing, Engineering Manpower, Development Materials, etc, and manage the budget in the feature sheets as the project develops.
- Creation & maintenance of the necessary risk analysis steps, including Risk filters, DFMEAs, and ensure associated Legal, Safety & Group standard requirements are brought into DVPs, Specifications, and other engineering documents.
- To ensure requirements required for manufacture are implemented into the design and associated documents.
- To determine the required quality requirements from an engineering perspective working with design & quality functions.
- To validate the product to all homologation/Legal Regulation requirements before preparing information for Engineering Release.
- To create and maintain project status information to support the reporting objectives of the Lead Engineer as required.
- To continually improve department processes and process “Building Blocks” in conjunction with colleagues throughout the complete bespoke organisation.
- To actively participate in departmental strategic improvements and initiatives.
- Degree in Automotive/Electrical Engineering or equivalent
- Sufficient and relevant experience in an Automotive Engineering development environment
- Knowledge of Automotive Manufacturing End of Line and Configuration Processes
- Experience in automotive engineering project engineering and leading cross-functional teams (without man-management responsibility)
- Knowledge of international automotive legislation and homologation requirements