At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
The Engineering Department (EN) pushes back the limits of technology so that physicists can carry out their research. Within the Accelerator Coordination and Engineering (ACE) Group of the EN department, you will join the Operational Safety Advisor (OSA) Section, which is responsible for safety coordination for the accelerator complex, in particular during programmed stops.
Are you a qualified and proactive technician with extensive experience in safety coordination, willing to contribute to a unique working environment at the heart of one of the world's most complex and exciting scientific experiments? Then, this opportunity is for you - join the largest particle physics research laboratory in the world. CERN, take part!
As a health and safety coordinator, you will:
- Collaborate with the organic unit responsible for the coordination of programmed stops to ensure that the safety requirements are fulfilled and approve the safety aspects in the Work Package Analysis Meetings;
- During coordination meetings, you will animate the safety briefings and take the lead during on-site safety meetings and inspections;
- Request and/or participate in Joint Inspections Visits (VIC: “Visite d’Inspection Commune”), in particular in case of specific risks, coactivity and/or superimposition of workstations to provide support to work supervisors;
- Ensure compliance of the works with rules (host states, European and CERN legislations) and with safety documentation.;
- Collaborate with other Safety Officers and the Experts from the Occupational Health & Safety and Environmental Protection unit (HSE), for training, inspections, incident and accident reports, classification of worksite;
- Participate in risk assessments, technical reviews and incident investigations;
- Provide support in revision of safety documentation (Risk Prevention Plans, etc) and edit documents related to safety like for example PCTS (« Plan de Coordination des Travaux et de la Sécurité de l’arrêt technique ») and necessary reports;
- Provide safety training.
Technical certificate or general secondary education or equivalent relevant experience in the field of health and safety coordination or a related field.
Be certified as health and safety coordinator level 1, conception, and realisation (Coordonnateur SPS (Sécurité et de Protection de la Santé)). Or have the prerequisite needed to obtain the certification within the first 6 months of contract. The candidate must be trained by certified organizations, themselves accredited by COFRAC.
The experience required for this post is:
- Extensive hands-on experience in the on-site application/implementation of security legislation of the host states (Switzerland and France);
- Extensive experience in site management, construction management or architecture on large civil engineering or industrial projects with knowledge of processes and planning.
- Occupational safety and risk management
- Knowledge of acoustics hazards and protection
- Hazardous materials response operations: (lead, asbestos)
- Knowledge of Radiation Safety: (Non-ionizing and ionizing radiation)
- Knowledge of personal protective equipment
- Safety conformity assessment
- Incident analysis in particular fault tree analysis
- Knowledge of electrical risks
- Experience of large material handling operations
- Knowledge of French and Swiss safety regulations and their evolution
- Ideally knowledge of cryogenic risk and magnetic fields would be an advantage
- Building Relationships: being able to put self in the shoes of others in order to understand their needs and interests
- Working in Teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships
- Achieving Results: following through on new ideas and innovations; planning and implementing application
- Communicating Effectively: delivering presentations in a structured and clear way; adjusting style and content to the audience; responding calmly and confidently to questions Successfully changing other people's opinions by persuasive arguments
Spoken and written French is required and the ability to speak and understand English in routine situations is an advantage, and an undertaking to acquire English rapidly
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 12 CET midday 3rd October 2022.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: EN-ACE-OSA-2022-92-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Health Safety and Environment Technician