At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you willing to become a key player in high power systems? Join CERN’s Electrical Power Converter Group (EPC) and leave your mark on the development and operation of the electrical systems for CERN's particle accelerators. Take part!
You will join the Accelerator Systems Department (SY), which is responsible for the beam-related technical systems of the CERN accelerators. The SY teams design, build and operate equipment systems in all CERN accelerators, and are engaged in ambitious forward-looking R&D programmes.
The Electrical Power Converter Group (EPC) in the Systems Department (SY) is responsible for the electrical power systems for the entire CERN accelerator complex.
You will join the High Power Converter Section (SY-EPC-HPC), responsible for the high-power power systems in the range between 1 MW and 150 MW.
As an Electrical Technician for Oil-filled transformers, you will participate in the operation and maintenance of electrical installations and power transformers. In this context, you will:
- Be in charge of commissioning, operation and maintenance of oil-filled or cast-resin type power transformers;
- Supervise contractor’s activities working at CERN, for the installation, maintenance and renovation of power transformers;
- Specify the requirements and study the mechanical and electrical integration of new transformers on existing transformer pits;
- Carry out the low-voltage electrical tests on the power transformer during maintenance or commissioning phase, such as interlock or protection relay tests;
- Propose and implement measures for environmental protection;
- Participate in fault finding and corrective interventions.
Higher technical diploma or equivalent relevant experience in the field of electrical engineering or power electronics or a related field.
- Experience of installation and commissioning of electrical equipment or power transformers;
- Experience of maintenance and operation of electrical equipment or power transformers;
- Initial experience in the creation of electrical circuit diagrams and mechanical 3-D drawings;
- Initial experience of technical supervision of personnel or supervision of a work-site.
- Construction, test and commissioning of electrical circuits and networks;
- Construction, test and installation of electromechanical equipment and systems;
- Operation and maintenance of electrical circuits and networks;
- Operation and maintenance of electrical machines.
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations.
- Working in teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
- Communicating effectively: ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented.
- Demonstrating flexibility: readily accepting new tasks or work/projects.
- Spoken and written English or French: basic knowledge of the other language or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 04.10.2022 by noon.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: SY-EPC-HPC-2022-95-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electrical Technician