The role works in a DevOps context, so will work across all of the following areas:
- Delivery of new solutions, upgrades and improvements;
- Routine operational management of the platform to ensure the security and health of the platform;
- Service request management;
- Break-fix as required to ensure that the system is healthy and that we meet our SLAs
The environment is demanding with high expectations for fast turnaround against requests and fault resolution, so we constantly strive to automate the environment to minimise the need for manual intervention. The successful candidate will be able to blend the requirement to define, follow and optimise our service across the domains of people, technology and process.
- Design, develop and implement complex database systems for new projects and deliveries, in partnership with the Database Architect.
- Delivering against our catalogue of database services
- Monitoring, optimizing, troubleshooting and performance tuning
- Planning requirements and storage needs to allow for database growth and shrinkage
- Delivering our Database service to defined SLAs
- Developing and maintaining backup and disaster recovery plans
- Upgrading, patching, and general database maintenance
- Knowledge sharing and mentoring
Core engineering – mid and top level accountabilities
- Designs, implements, and documents database implementations, and leads in the construction and maintenance of moderately complex or complex database systems
- Overcomes obstacles to deliver quality implementations and service on time and to SLA
- Collaborates and negotiates with all project team members (developers, testers etc) to maximise the efficiency of the delivery team through an integrated and appropriate DBA services
- Assist the capacity planning and hardware design for database server(s)
- Designs and documents, or validates, the data access mechanisms to guarantee that transactions are processed reliably and data is efficiently stored and retrieved
Expert Technologist accountabilities
- Recognized as the expert and point of contact for at least one database technology
- Defines and leads on the implementation and selection of database technology through extensive knowledge across platforms and the various advantages and disadvantages of each
- Expert in Physical, virtual or Cloud implementations of databases
Skills and Experience
Install, configure & support of MS SQL Server 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Experience with Performance Tuning and Optimization (PTO), using native monitoring and troubleshooting tools.
Database upgrade planning and execution
Experience with backups, restores and recovery models
DB Security design, implementation and monitoring
SQL and PL/SQL troubleshooting, coding and optimization
Understanding of how the underpinning infrastructure (OS, virtual infrastructure, physical infrastructure) impacts Database design and operations – collaboration with teams that manage those areas
Cloud based administration
Install, configure & support of Oracle Database 10g – 11g – 12c
Install, configure & support of IBM DB2 9 – 10 – 11
Familiar with VMware (Infrastructure 5.5 / 6 / 6.5), AWS / Azure and Clustering services
Familiar with Microsoft Windows Server 2008, 2012, 2016, Windows 7, 8.1 &10,
Familiar with Linux RHE or CentOS 6 and 7
Very strong attention to detail.
Life at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day. By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance wellbeing.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds – the best and brightest minds – can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.
About BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
BAE Systems Digital Intelligence is home to 4,800 digital, cyber and intelligence experts. We work collaboratively across 16 countries to collect, connect and understand complex data, so that governments, nation states, armed forces and commercial businesses can unlock digital advantage in the most demanding environments.
Launched in 2022, Digital Intelligence is part of BAE Systems, and has a rich heritage in helping to defend nations and businesses around the world from advanced threats.
Division overview: Functions
At BAE Systems Digital Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and the business could not operate without all the dedicated work of our Functions teams. From Finance & Operations through Communications & Marketing, to HR and Site Operations and more, our Functions teams enable our divisions to implement ground-breaking digital transformations and crucial defence software.
As part of Functions, you will be supporting and partnering with our global business from the backline, being a strategic advisor within your specialist area, and ensuring the business runs smoothly and efficiently. We all have a role to play in defending our clients; and this is yours.