A Fantastic Engineering Opportunity To ‘Power The Transition To A Carbon Free Future’
Powersystems is a leading a high voltage engineering company specialising in electrical power infrastructure, grid connections and renewable generation.
Recruiting for: Electrical Design Engineer
Competitive salary dependent on qualifications and experience
This exciting opportunity to join our team has been created because of our continued success and expansion within the marketplace, in particular the renewable energy industry. We are looking to recruit an experienced electrical design engineer; the role is diverse, challenging and rewarding. You will be given the opportunity to practice and develop a wide range of skills including specification of HV primary equipment, design of protection and control schemes, reviewing and conducting simulation and modelling studies to demonstrate compliance. We are flexible in our approach to the role, and you may choose to specialise or to work across a range of engineering and design areas, either way we will provide a supporting environment in which to develop as a high voltage specialist.
Duties and responsibilities of the role include:
- Responsible for the delivery of designs within agreed time-frames, to a high quality that reflects Powersystems reputation as high voltage specialists
- Work across multiple design projects and prioritise conflicting project deadlines
- Communicate effectively with clients, consultants, and project engineers, to understand their expectations and justify your design decisions
- Provide technical support for the project engineers for design queries
- Build relationships with clients, and attend design and project co-ordination meetings with clients, their consultants, and DNO and TNO representatives
- Ensure all designs are designed for safety and are compliant with CDM and Health and Safety regulations, including producing design risk assessments, and effectively communicating risks to project engineers and construction operatives
- Prepare design packages for DNO contestable works and balance of plant (private) works from 11 kV to 132 kV
- Work closely with the in-house CAD drafting team to generate SLD’s, equipment layouts, cable route drawings, construction, and legal plans for new HV connections
- Produce AC/DC schematics for protection, control, and SCADA panels, and liaise with our in-house panel assemblers on the construction of panels
- Select HV and LV cables and design cable routes using CYMCAP and Amtech software
- Prepare multicore cable schedules
- Manage and review simulation studies for generation connections undertaken by other consultants or carried out in-house, including load flow, reactive power capability, fault level analysis, power quality, and harmonic studies to demonstrate compliance with Engineering Recommendations, the Distribution Code, the Grid Code, and industry standards
- Attend sites for inspection and design purposes and attend manufacturers factory acceptance tests when required
- Project a professional image to clients and colleagues
- Contribute to the future success of Powersystems and its clients
- Gained relevant experience of high voltage electrical engineering design (11 kV and above) within the electrical contracting or utility industries. You will possess excellent technical knowledge and be able to apply this in a practical way
- HNC/ Degree in Electrical Engineering
- Full UK driving licence
- Right to Work within the UK without limitation
- A higher degree or post graduate qualification in power systems would be an advantage
- Have obtained or be working towards professional registration with the IET at IENG / CENG level
- Strong report writing skills and the ability to communicate technical information in a clear and concise manner
- Open to change, resilient and proactive
- Must be available to travel on work related business throughout the UK with occasional overnight stays
Salary and benefits:
- Highly competitive salary depending on experience and qualifications
- Pension contribution
- Private health insurance
- 25 days annual holiday plus paid public holidays
- Benefit from company profit share as a partner in our business
Powersystems UK is an Employee-Owned business and has a keen interest in the well-being and success of all its employees. We will encourage and empower you to be imaginative, share your great ideas and be involved in the future success of our business.
Everyone is welcome at Powersystems. We strive to create an inclusive and diverse environment where everyone has a voice and where you feel confident being yourself. We’re committed to equality, diversity and inclusion. We’d like our future workforce to have an equal gender balance, represent a broad mix of people from minority ethnic backgrounds, LGBTQ+, those with a disability and supporting social mobility.
We offer a positive and rewarding working environment, relaxed in terms of some of our approaches, yet highly professional with excellent support mechanisms in place to develop your knowledge and career. If you believe that you have what it takes to power our future together then we wish to hear from you.
Applicants must be eligible to work in the UK.