- Show your skill in substation asset management and writing engineering standards Collaborate with top industry experts within Transpower and around the world Contribute to national and international standard working groups and conferences
Update and create Transmission Substations standards which set and influence the lifecycle of asset management in Transpower as well as the electricity industry in NZ!
At the heart of the electricity sector in New Zealand, Transpower's position as Grid Owner and System Operator is unique. With $6B of assets and a whole of industry view, our work is essential to enabling accelerated electrification to meet climate change and sustainability goals that will impact generations to come.
About the team
Our Grid Development division identifies the future needs for the grid over the next 5 to 30 years, including increasing electricity demand, changing generation, and replacement or repair of major assets.
The Tactical Engineering team provides technical engineering support and expertise to the planning and delivery functions within Transpower. The Station Standards team, within Tactical Engineering, is responsible for strategic investigation, updating engineering standards and standard designs. They also undertake Customer Hazard site risk reviews and Access and Occupation Approvals.
About the opportunity
As our Engineer/Senior - Station Standards you'll play a key role in identifying and developing asset lifecycle standards, service specifications, and provide linkage and 'line of sight' between our Station strategies, standards, and specifications.
You'll work collaboratively across Transpower (engaging with other strategic, commercial, planning, engineering, and operational teams) to improve and develop standards and approaches to achieve our objectives and enable improved delivery of the grid service to our customers.
You will also:
- collaborate with internal and external subject matter experts to ensure our standard follows regulation, best international practice, and is fit for purpose
- contribute to national and international standard working groups and conferences
- actively contribute to ensure that projects are delivered to time, quality, and budget objectives and be involved in supporting customer site risk inspection.
As our recognised technical expert in substations, your work will be pivotal to ensure Transpower manages corporate risk as well as ensuring maximum value from our assets. Working across the business, you'll gain an in-depth understanding of how Transpower works and be able to contribute to regulatory planning which impacts the grid of the future.
While our preferred location is our Waikoukou Wellington Head Office, due to the collaboration involved cross enterprise, other Transpower office locations (Auckland, Hamilton, Palmerston North, or Christchurch) maybe considered for the right candidate.
To be considered, you'll demonstrate good ability to influence engineering practice, underpinned by a Washington Accord degree - Electrical, CPEng or international equivalent with eight or more years technical experience in high voltage substation engineering.
Your application and cover will demonstrate the following:
- Previous experience in primary and secondary asset management, including writing engineering standards for a utility company
- A deep understanding of generation, transmission, or distribution of asset life cycle issues or similar
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, including presenting to all levels
- Highly developed analytical skills, including technical optioneering
- Experience using Microsoft Office business software applications
Why you should join us
Significant opportunities lie ahead as we work to enable Aotearoa's energy future. Our diverse workforce of over 28 nationalities allows us to test and question the status quo and come up with exciting new solutions to meet the demand for accelerated electrification.
Our people tell us they enjoy our flexible, family friendly, work environment with great benefits (check them out here https://www.transpower.co.nz/about-us/careers/benefits) and professional development, project, and secondment opportunities available over time.
To join our experienced Stations Standards team, please review the position description available via our careers site https://careers.transpower.co.nz/search and apply without delay!
Applications close on Sunday, 16 October 2022.
Applications will be reviewed from Friday, 14 October 2022.
NB: While our preference is for candidates with full eligibility to work in New Zealand, reasonable accommodation and sponsorship may be possible for outstanding technical expertise and relevant Substations Standards experience.
To apply for this job, please click 'apply now' or go to our job site and enter the job code 25644.