Are you passionate about working with cutting edge technology and owning the design and engineering on projects delivering solutions that are central to our customer’s missions? Join BAE Systems as a Systems Engineer. We are looking for systems engineers with strong focus on network infrastructure and security architecture.
You’ll be working with our global teams and will be responsible for ensuring that the solution meets its functional and non-functional requirements, and the correct application of relevant technologies, processes and tool chains. You’ll need to ensure that these various components and sub-systems work together both technically as well as operationally, from a customer mission perspective.
You’ll enjoy working as part of a team, working with other systems engineers and architects to coordinate the various development, test and deployment teams, and also some hands-on aspects - including setting up and configuring hardware, deploying the system to internal testing on customer premises, and training customers in the system’s use. You will be resilient under pressure and have the ability to manage multiple assignments independently.
Most importantly (above everything else) you’ll enjoy taking on a loosely defined task and using a mixture of internal and external sources to find a solution, implement it and repeat the process until the task is complete.
What you could be doing for us:
- Assist in the design and implementation of software and hardware systems which form part of a properly engineered cyber intelligence system.
- Act as the point of authority for complex engineering problems.
- Take responsibility for the specification, flow-down and acceptance of sub-system / component requirements to internal development teams.
- Oversee and assure the implementation of the design working with development teams and other design team members.
- Ensure that the design meets key requirements and will allow operational and through-life scenarios to meet the customer’s needs.
- Own and manage technical and solution risks as well as working to reduce and mitigate them.
- Lead estimation efforts to rapidly develop an understanding of potential costs and delivery timescales.
- Retain overall ownership of solution through delivery and transition into operation.
- Ensure that appropriate standards (corporate, industry, national and international) are adhered to.
- Work with quality and test management teams to ensure that proposed test strategies and approaches are fit-for-purpose.
- Establish policy and strategy for the selection of systems engineering approaches, promoting the discipline to ensure consistency.
What background are we looking for?
- An understanding of the Systems Engineering lifecycle and V-Model
- Good technical writing (and drawing) skills – creation of internal and external design / technical documents.
- Good understanding of TCP/IP networks, including switching and routing
- Experience with physical installation of computing equipment in data centre racks.
- Proficiency analysing software logs / metrics to investigate errors and debug software issues on Linux servers.
- Proficiency with Linux command line (CentOS / RedHat) for system administration / server configuration tasks.
- Proficiency with VMware vSphere / vCenter for administration of VMs.
- Some scripting knowledge experience (e.g. BASH or Python)
- Experience configuring switches / firewalls
- An understanding of physical cabling standards / formats (copper, fibre, optical transceivers, etc.)
How we will support you:
- Work-life balance is important; you’ll get 25 days holiday a year and, via our flexible benefits package the option to buy/sell and carry over from the year before
- Our flexible benefits package includes; private medical and dental insurance, a competitive pension scheme, cycle to work scheme, taste cards and more
- You’ll have a dedicated Career Manager to help you develop your career and guide you on your journey through BAE
- Don’t know a particular technology? Your learning and development is key to your future career
- You’ll be part of our bonus scheme
- You are welcome to join any/all of our Diversity and Support groups. These groups cover everything from gender diversity to mental health and wellbeing.
Only those with the permanent and unrestricted right to live and work in the UK will be considered for a position within BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. Due to the nature of our work, successful candidates for this role will be required to go through Government SC clearance prior to starting with us. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/security-vetting-and-clearance
Life at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day. By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance well-being.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds – the best and brightest minds – can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.
About BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
BAE Systems Digital Intelligence is home to 4,800 digital, cyber and intelligence experts. We work collaboratively across 16 countries to collect, connect and understand complex data, so that governments, nation states, armed forces and commercial businesses can unlock digital advantage in the most demanding environments.
Launched in 2022, Digital Intelligence is part of BAE Systems, and has a rich heritage in helping to defend nations and businesses around the world from advanced threats.