Salary: £25,702 to £27,938 per annum (UKRI Pay Band C) or £31,931 to £34,709 per annum (UKRI Pay Band D) dependent on skills and experience. A Specialist Allowance of up to £3000 per annum is available with this post.
Hours: Full time (37 Hours per week)
Contract Type: Open Ended
Location: Science and Technology Facilities Council, Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Harwell, Oxfordshire
Come and do the kind of engineering that made you want to be an engineer. Stretch your technical skills while building human understanding. Promote sustainability and create new materials. Alongside world-leading scientists and technologists, shape projects that improve lives in the UK and far beyond.
The ISIS Neutron and Muon Source is a world-leading centre for research in the physical and life sciences. ISIS has a suite of 36 instruments to deliver our science. Each of these (beam) instruments gives a unique insight into the properties of materials on the atomic scale.
To support this incredible facility, we are looking to recruit an Electronics Engineer to join our Operations Support Section. You will be responsible for:
- Temperature control equipment for sample environment systems, controlling high temperature furnaces and low temperature cryogenics.
- Motion systems that are an integral part of the ISIS beam instruments. You would be involved with the maintenance, test, and repair of these systems.
- Testing, maintenance, and repair of our Personal Protection Systems (PPS) which make up a pivotal layer of safety for our staff.
- Novel electrical experimental setups including, but not limited to, high voltage, high current, and electric and magnetic fields (EMFs).
- Ensuring electrical safety integrity of all in-house and externally provided electrical equipment used in experiments
Be part of our on-call team providing out-of-hours maintenance and repair support on a rostered basis.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Provide electronics and electrical support to the ISIS neutron beamlines and their experiments, through the provision of fast and effective fault diagnosis and repair.
- Play a pivotal role in the ISIS beam instrument support by assisting scientists with their experiment set-up needs.
- Support the design and manufacturer of custom pieces of equipment that enable the scientists to perform new and unique types of experiments.
- Be responsible for specific equipment within our equipment maintenance programme.
- Maintenance, test, and repair of our motion control systems. These motion systems move and configure our beam instruments as well as optimising the position of the samples that are being investigated.
- Repair, modification and the design, assembly, and maintenance of a vast range of temperature control equipment.
- Support the adaptation of electrical and electronic equipment to meet our strict electrical safety codes. You would ensure that all work is conducted in a safe manner in accordance with health and safety codes.
- Maintain a high level of professional technical proficiency through continuous training either formal courses or attendance of workshops and conferences
If appointed at the more senior level, your responsibilities would also include:
- Be the lead technician for specific areas of our operations work.
- Become a collaborator in ISIS project design reviews. You would work with the team to ensure that the group's design standards are adhered to.
- Collaborating with scientists to provide the exact sample environment configurations for each experimental set up.
We are looking for someone with:
- Qualified to HNC or above, or equivalent experience, in Electronic Engineering.
- Technical experience outside of academia, such as electronics design work, fault finding skills, test, and repair work.
- Creative and adaptive approach to problem solving.
- Previous experience as a lead technician with responsibility for a specific body of work and experience in supervising other technicians (for higher role)
- Understanding of safety systems.
- Working knowledge of motion control systems.
- Qualifications relating to electrical safety.
We are offering a permanent position with a whole host of benefits including 30 days holiday (in addition to bank holidays), an excellent pension scheme, employee shopping/travel discounts, a salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme, plus many more benefits and wellbeing initiatives that enable our employees to have an excellent work-life balance.
We will ensure, where possible, that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
UKRI is an Equal Opportunity & Disability Confident Employer.
We ask some of the biggest questions in the universe, to answer some of the biggest challenges in the world. Together, our scientists, technologists, engineers and business support team explore the unknown across every field you could think of. And they turn what they find into work that changes the world around us. What could you achieve with the world-leading facilities and experts of one of Europe's largest research organisations by your side? Join us and discover what's possible.
Closing Date: 9th October 2022