Based at Langage Power Station
EP Langage Ltd (Part of the EPH Group)
EPUK Investments Ltd (EPUKI) is the UK division of Energetický a průmyslový holdings (EPH), a leading energy group of over 70 companies that owns and operates assets across Europe. EPH group employs circa 25,000 people internationally, owns €16.7bn of assets, generating €8.6bn of revenue and an EBITDA of €2.1bn.
EPUKI was established in 2015 as the strategic platform for expanding the EPH group into the UK energy market. Since launching, EPUKI has made several acquisitions and now owns multiple renewable and flexible power generating assets in the UK and Ireland.
EPUKI has grown rapidly to revenues ~£1.5bn and EBITDA >£200m. We pride ourselves on an entrepreneurial culture and flat leadership structure where individuals (where ever they are in the organisation) can make a real impact on our business.
Our aim is to enable the UK and Ireland low carbon transition through provision of flexible and reliable energy supply. To achieve this, we will:
- develop, construct and acquire the right assets to support the transformation of the energy system;
- invest in our people and our assets to best respond to the changing needs of our sector;
- continuously challenge ourselves to identify opportunities, build our knowledge and develop innovative solutions.
EPUKI is one of the largest independent generators in the UK and Ireland, with an asset base that covers multiple technologies and a range of revenue streams; these include fully merchant baseload and peaking plant and index traded baseload plants, providing a range of system services across the energy and balancing spectrum. Despite its significant market presence, EPUKI has a flat structure with fast paced decision making ability enabling better optimisation of market positions. The market continues to evolve and develop as the UK and Irish governments drive towards Net Zero with increasing challenges of renewables penetration, introduction of hydrogen and other new technologies.
Langage Power Station near Plymouth, Devon, is a 885MW CCGT power plant in multi-shaft configuration consisting of 2 x Alstom GT26 gas turbines, with exhaust gases heating 2 x heat recovery steam generators (HRSGs) , powering a single Alstom STF30C steam turbine.
The plant cost in excess of £400 million and started generating in 2010. Langage is one of the most efficient plants in the UK, with combined cycle efficiency of c57% and highly flexible operation due to its multi-shaft configuration.
We are looking to recruit an experienced EC&I Engineer to lead and advise the long term maintenance of the stations Electrical, Control and Instrumentation systems. Working within the Engineering Team at EP Langage Ltd, the successful candidate will be responsible for the management of the long-term integrity of all HV and LV Electrical systems , DCS, Control and Instrumentation systems on site ensuring high levels of safety, reliability, technical and legal compliance. The EC&I Engineer will provide specialist support, guidance, and technical advice to the Engineering and Maintenance teams on site EC&I systems. The EC&I Engineer will oversee long-term planning and through life management, including obsolescence, of site EC&I infrastructure and systems.
Reporting to the Engineering Manager, the key responsibilities and duties will include:-
- Managing the integrity of HV/LV Electrical, Control and Instrumentation (EC&I) systems onsite including Generators, Transformers, Motors, Electrical control systems, DC systems, and HV/LV distribution systems
- Through life management of Langage DCS systems on both software and hardware, and modifications.
- Maintaining compliance to relevant internal and external technical standards and legislation
- Planning and executing electrical inspections activities, both technically and financially, during scheduled outages
- Developing a longer-term planning view, managing the asset through station life and system obsolescence
- Ensuring the correct maintenance plans are in place for electrical and control systems, carried out, and the periodicity is correct to maximise reliability
- Support the Engineering and Maintenance teams in fault finding, engineering solutions, and root cause analysis on electrical and control issues
- Delivering on and project managing capital projects on electrical and control systems such as upgrades and replacement
- Contributing to budget planning across 5 year rolling business plan period for electrical systems. Oversee and manage within year delivery and phasing of electrical budgets
- Managing electrical contracts through identification, budgeting, specification and execution.
- Leading on management of Electrical works ensuring high levels of quality management and documentation at all stages
Our Ideal Candidate
- HV Electrical systems including transmission and distribution (essential)
- LV Electrical systems including transmission and distribution (essential)
- HV and LV protection (essential)
- Control and Instrumentation experience (essential)
- Distributed Control Systems (DCS) experience (desirable)
- Building and influencing relationships through excellent interpersonal skills and a strong positive attitude
- Ability to adapt quickly to changes, cope with pressurised situations, flexible approach to changes in priority and adhering to deadlines
- Excellent numeracy, literacy and problem-solving skills
- High motivation, self-direction and self-awareness
- Demonstratable competence in use of IT/IS skills e.g. MS Office
- Ability to integrate and actively participate within in a positive safety culture
- Degree in an Electrical Engineering discipline and/or
- HND/HNC in Electrical Engineering discipline with extensive industrial experience
- Membership of a professional institution, or working towards membership and chartership
- Training plan to work towards HV SAP (High Voltage Senior Authorised Person)
The successful candidate will be appointed on a personal contract, on a highly competitive salary, which reflects the responsibilities of the role as well as the abilities of the individual.
- Private medical insurance
- Flexibility Allowance
- Bonus opportunity
- Benefits & Wellbeing Platform