WHAT TO EXPECT
As a capable CAE engineer, you should be able to independently validate and guide the vehicle design by creating/ processing data from high quality LS-Dyna impact models using the Oasys toolset. You will gain experience in pedestrian protection, working to legal and consumer test protocols, gain a solid understanding of pedestrian leg impactor kinematics (FlexPli, aPLI, Upper Leg) and will develop sympathy for all vehicle attribute requirements (Design, Crash, D&R, Thermal, Aero, etc).
You should be able to use sound engineering judgement to independently extract relevant model outputs to determine the underlying nature of the issue and identify concerns, explain the fundamental physics, and propose well evidenced design change resolutions to the Body Exteriors team, the wider Body Engineering dept as well as becoming a key partner with Body CAE, Aero, D&R and Programme teams. Using optimisation and robustness techniques to reduce component cost/weight and development time are key to this role.
You will operate in a cross-functional Agile squad but will report directly to the Exteriors CAE Group Leader whilst supporting the Vehicle Safety attribute team, programme Lead Engineers, Exterior Module Leaders, Exteriors Product Integration team and the Exteriors Quality team.
You will be primarily based at the JLR Gaydon site (hybrid working arrangements are currently in place), but there may be need to conduct activities at other JLR manufacturing & design locations, or supplier sites, to suit business needs.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities:
* Experience in the use of LS-Dyna for explicit FE impact analysis and the associated pre/post-processing tools (Oasys PRIMER, D3Plot, THis, Altair HW, etc) to guide product design.
* Ability to solve complex technical issues and overcoming challenges using creative and innovative solutions.
* Experience in reducing a large complex problem into smaller reduced DOF sub-system CAE model to rapidly improve and optimise component design.
* Experience in analysis and design of vehicle front ends for pedestrian protection.
* Experience in the use of implicit (linear/non-linear) FE solvers (LS-Dyna, OS, ABAQUS) and the associated pre/post-processing tools for static quality analyses of system/ sub-system/ component designs across a range of quality load cases (durability, vibration, thermal loading, wade loading & feel predictions).
* Engineering knowledge of exterior components - function, performance, production & manufacturing requirements.
* Competence in the use of other related tools such as macro programming using Fast-TCF, Excel VBA, TCL, Perl or Python.
WHAT YOU NEED
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
* In-depth knowledge and proven technical expertise in delivery of Motion Systems.
* In-depth knowledge of Network Architectures and current Chassis Systems.
* Analytical skills including the ability to conduct complex research into new technologies.
* Ability to effectively explain complex ideas and confidently presenting these to senior stakeholders both within JLR and to external audiences.
* Relevant Degree qualification or extensive relevant experience
* An individual with a customer first mindset who is easy to do business with and makes people feel special, motivated to deliver experiences that are personalised, transparent and dependable.
* An individual, who works independently, is results driven, demonstrating tenacity, drive, and perseverance with the ability to deliver in a complex, highly demanding environment.
* An individual with the capability to combine a short term, pragmatic focus with medium term planning and a good track record of proactive delivery and commitment to deadlines.
* A resilient and enthusiastic who responds constructively to innovative ideas and inputs.
* Strong numeric skills and demonstrating a logical and methodical approach to component applications, verification and validation, using data to inform choices and build suitable solutions.
* Strong presentation skills and ability to communicate effectively across all levels of the business - influential across a range of stakeholders.
* An individual with the ability to challenge existing thinking in a positive way whilst building credibility and trust through experience and personal style.