WHAT TO EXPECT
The purpose of this role is to coordinate the design, development, testing and introduction of new or modified steering wheel and/or drivers' airbag.
The role requires the individual to deliver the commodity plan to quality, cost and time and lead the technical content and integrity of the steering wheel & drivers airbag systems across specific vehicle programmes.
The Cabin & Safety Systems department has complete responsibility for the design and development of all Jaguar and Land Rover Interior cabin and safety systems from concept design through to volume production. With an increasing emphasis on virtual development techniques the department utilises advanced CAD and CAE to support the product development process.
A role within the Safety Component Group involves working with a wide range of development tools within challenging functional and cost targets and significant liaison with all internal areas of our business as well as external component and system suppliers
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
* Own and deliver the commodity plan to quality, cost and time, including maintaining the Worldwide Engineering Release System (WERS)
* Own and deliver the Engineering Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP) deliverables
* Manage engineering and attribute Change Requests, expenditure forecasting and the relevant supplier teams in support of delivery of the programme milestones
* Manage component and sub-system test plans, including detailed planning of test and development stages through to design verification sign off and support Engineering test teams with rectification of issues
* Resolve issues with component and sub-system engineering and vehicle attribute teams to develop designs that meet targets
* Ensure all appropriate Jaguar Land Rover standards and applicable regulations are met through-out design maturation
* Provide input into new feature development
* Developing and managing the implementation of feasible technical solutions to achieve programme targetsProgramme targets for cost, weight, quality (utilising Failure Mode Avoidance techniques) and functional performance.
* Legal regulations, component and sub-system engineering (RMDV) requirements.
* Optical Quality and PCPA (Premium Consumer Product Audit) requirements.
* Keeping all Module documentation up to date including:Engineering and Business Meeting minutes
* Foundation and Programme Design analysis documents
* Quality history and Bill of Design
* AIMS, RMDV, WERS, APQP (Advanced Product Quality Planning), PPAP
* Interfacing with key programme attribute teams to support the delivery of all vehicle attribute requirements, especially the vehicle safety attribute
* Managing all the key stakeholders associated with safety component development (e.g. Suppliers, Purchasing, Vehicle Engineering, Quality, Design, Optical & Perceived Quality, Finance, Manufacturing, Service, Logistics, etc)
* Undertake any other work as directed by their line manager in connection with their job as may be requested from time to time
WHAT YOU NEED
Knowledge, Skills and experience
* Previous experience of leading the resolution of business, technical and process issues within an Engineering Project Team environment
* A good working knowledge of product creation & delivery, engineering change control, product definition and change management processes
* Engineering related Degree or relevant equivalent experience
* Proven experience of engineering project management within a technical environment, ideally encompassing the management of suppliers or other external organisations.
* Previous experience within Automotive engineering or programme planning departments
* Previous experience in Body Engineering / Safety Components, Restraint Electronics or Vehicle Safety environments
* Working knowledge of safety system development including steering wheel, airbag or seat belt dynamic performance, manufacturing processes and related standards and test procedures or vehicle safety attribute delivery or test.
* Knowledge of vehicle level safety requirements.
* Previous experience of Electronics & Electrical systems, including Grade, EMC, Software, Networks & Architecture within an Engineering Project Team environment
* Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with strong influencing and engagement skills
* A good working knowledge and (ideally) experience in using Agile.