Explosive Trials R&D Engineer
AWE relies on cutting-edge science and computational methods to verify the safety and effectiveness of the UK's warhead stockpile. This approach is underpinned by the design, assembly and fielding of explosive trials and experiments in both the UK and abroad. To provide the through-life engineering management of these trials we are currently recruiting for Systems/Mechanical/Mechanical Design Engineers.
Package - £33,850 - £48,000 (Salary dependent on skills and experience)
Location - Reading area (On-Site role)
AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) offers an attractive array of benefits which include:
- Market leading contributory pension scheme
- Generous holiday entitlement (270 hours a year, including Bank Holidays, plus every other Friday off)
- Flexible working hours
- AWE Life Insurance
- Opportunities for Professional Career Development that include funding for the annual membership of a relevant professional body, access to mentors and training
- Consideration for either full time or part time hours. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time
- Relocation package available (terms and conditions apply)
These roles will support the projects from requirements capture through to the delivery of the assembled hardware. Due to the complexity of these experiments, the hazardous materials involved and the highly regulated environment in which AWE operates a thorough and methodical approach is essential. Ideal candidates will have excellent attention to detail, be comfortable working across the entire engineering product lifecycle and able to demonstrate experience in most of the following areas:
- Stakeholder engagement and capture of technical requirements
- Mechanical design and substantiation of hardware
- Development of assembly methods and safe systems of work
- Engineering/Quality analysis techniques (including FMEA)
- Awareness of systems engineering principles, techniques and management processes
- Capturing of verification and validation evidence
- Overseeing hardware being manufactured or assembled
To support technical delivery successful candidates will also be able to quickly grasp and articulate challenges and solutions. Proficiency in the following is therefore necessary:
- Technical and management skills including problem solving and decision making
- Oral, written and presentation skills with an emphasis on generating written evidence
- Interpersonal and communication skills to ensure effective communication across levels and disciplines (both internally and externally)
Roles are available at various levels however candidates would ideally have a degree in an Engineering discipline (with or working towards professional registration) or proven working experience in a similar environment.
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the security clearance required for the role.
Please note that you must be a British National to apply for a role at AWE.