The Software Test Automation Engineer designs, plans and executes tests in order to assess the completeness and quality of engineered solutions and/or products.
- Creates Test designs, plans, scripts, programs and supporting artefacts using appropriate tools and following the disciplines in place
- Demonstrates an understanding of the importance of schedule and endeavours to estimate accurately and deliver according to those estimates
- Demonstrates skill and adeptness in team collaboration, technical discussion and negotiation
- Continually increases personal understanding of the test frameworks, technical concepts, methods and measurements.
- Works with Software Engineers to guide and assure their testing
- Works with requirements owners to refine requirements such that they may be proven through testing
- Exploits appropriate test methods, languages, libraries and techniques and apply these to software engineering tasks to realise the most effective outcome
- Ensures high quality and delivery standards are met and consistently deliver quality test artefacts and reports on time and within estimate.
Depending on the particular job being performed by a Software Test Engineer they may typically have some or all of these specific accountabilities.
Core engineering- entry level accountabilities (interns, graduates and apprentices might receive training before being expected to meet these)
- Completes Software tasks as directed by the team lead:
- Interprets and executes test scripts, mapping back to predetermined criteria.
- Classifies defects, documents test failures and successes when compared with pre-determined criteria in accordance with agreed standards.
- Analyses and reports on test activities and results.
- Defines and creates test cases from the analysis of functional specifications and creates test plans to execute this for areas of functionality.
- Provides accurate estimates of effort needed to produce test artefacts or execute tests
- Learns about the system under test such that test incidents are well described and qualified thus reducing time to triage and resolve.
Core engineering – mid-level accountabilities
- Analyses test requirements, designing and producing re-usable test scripts and specifying requirements for environments, data and test tools required
- Overcomes development obstacles to deliver quality testing on time
- Reviews test artefacts produced by peers
- Reviews test results and modify the test suite as necessary
- Defines and creates test cases from the analysis of non-functional specifications
- Designs and executes performance test scripts, security tests and defines and executes usability tests with the client
- Analyses requirements for test automation and designs the technical solution, including coding, modifying and documenting test automation scripts and programs, implementing and configuring automation test tools and planning and implementing keyword driven test tools
- Reviews and assures the scope and execution of Unit Tests and Integration Tests performed by Software Engineers
- Describes to Software Engineers how their work will be, or has been, tested such that the Software Engineers gains insight into the tester’s interpretation of the requirements
- Execute Session-based (Exploratory) Testing where scripted testing is inappropriate or requires augmentation
Applicants to this role must be amenable to obtain UK Government security clearance
Life at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day. By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance well-being.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds – the best and brightest minds – can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.
About BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
BAE Systems Digital Intelligence is home to 4,800 digital, cyber and intelligence experts. We work collaboratively across 16 countries to collect, connect and understand complex data, so that governments, nation states, armed forces and commercial businesses can unlock digital advantage in the most demanding environments.
Launched in 2022, Digital Intelligence is part of BAE Systems, and has a rich heritage in helping to defend nations and businesses around the world from advanced threats.