National Grid Electricity Distribution is the new name for Western Power Distribution. This is a very exciting time to be part of the largest UK electricity transmission and distribution business. We’ve changed our name, but our people and focus on providing great service to customers remains unchanged. We connect 8 million customers across the Midlands, South West England and South Wales and serve a population of over 18 million people. We do this whilst maintaining safety, reliability and excellent customer service.
National Grid employs over 29,000 people worldwide. Our vision is to be at the heart of a clean, fair and affordable energy future and we are doing this in a fast-moving industry with an increasing focus on tackling climate change, exploring new energy sources which are renewable, low carbon, and improve efficiency to meet demand.
We are an equal opportunities employer. Our desire is to bring in more employees from diverse backgrounds to build further on our inclusive culture. We value and celebrate individual difference and we believe that an inclusive culture will help the business grow as a positive, strong and innovative company.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Team Manager based in Nottingham.
Accountable to the Distribution Manager, the Team Manager is responsible for leading a multi-disciplinary team. They create a clear vision, set clear expectations, recognise excellent performance and positively support colleagues’ professional development. They ensure colleagues are empowered to work with competence, confidence and professionalism within a diverse environment. The Team Manager leads a culture where collaboration, customer focus, innovation and mutual trust is high.
Through successful leadership, you will be responsible for:-
- The construction, reinforcement, alteration and replacement of assets in accordance with Engineering Directives within a specified location.
- The maintenance and repair of assets in accordance with Engineering Directives within a specified location.
- The restoration of supplies to customers and repair of faulty assets in accordance with Engineering Directives within a specified location.
- You will successfully deliver team and personal performance expectations
The starting salary will be £50,815.
If you are offered a position, you will be required to successfully complete a basic DBS check that shows any unspent convictions or conditional cautions.
As part of our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, all applications are automatically anonymised by our recruitment system. This is with the aim of realising our ambition to have a workforce which is reflective of the community we serve and eliminating unconscious bias, allowing employees to be appointed based on their talent, skills and experiences regardless of ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation or any other protected characteristic.
Our hiring managers will have no access to your name, age, gender or other diversity information until after shortlisting has taken place. This detail will become visible before interview to allow managers to prepare.
- Build and maintain a safety culture which enables a safe working environment validated through site safety inspections.
- Investigate, report and take corrective action following an accident, injury, damage to property or near miss.
- Support the team to deliver a high level of customer service at all times and achieve all customer service related performance targets.
- Set clear direction and expectations. Ensure team members clearly understand what needs to be done, why, when and by whom. Review progress against expectation and take appropriate action to ensure delivery of results.
- Ensure shared ownership for teams’ goals and objectives, and delivery in accordance with expectation. Recognise excellent performance and celebrate success.
- Continuously reflect on work undertaken and performance of team to identify and implement improvements.
- Build a trusting team environment, where all are equally welcomed and valued. Be authentic, support colleagues’ well-being and create excellent lines of communication.
- Proactively support colleagues’ physical and mental health, through both a reactive response when situations occur, and pro-actively to support a healthy working environment.
- Support the development of a diverse working environment within which colleagues are developed and their potential is maximised. Provide constructive feedback.
- Speak on behalf of the Company and the team, both internally and externally, on issues that relate to own team’s activities.
- Within a continually changing working environment set a clear vision, lead and manage change effectively.
- Successfully manage unit costs of work undertaken through the efficient management of the workforce aligned to the work programme.
- Monitor tasks and expenditure to ensure working is undertaken within budget and in accordance with annual programme.
- Approve and monitor individual capital schemes, identify and comment on variances and take corrective action.
- Manage the dual responsibility of the team’s annual network programme whilst overseeing daily activates of restoring supplies and repairing damaged or faulty assets.
- Ensure contractor’s work activities are completed to expectation.
- Ensure the team have the correct facilities, tools, equipment and vehicles to undertake their work.
The Ideal Candidate
- A minimum City and Guilds 2339 or a relevant engineering or business management qualification.
- Leadership capability aligned to the expectation of the role, including an ability to empower and lead through others.
- A good understanding of the importance of building a positive work culture aligned to the future challenges of the business.
- A good understanding of the changing electricity distribution operating environment and how that is reflected in leadership and the development of teams and their culture.
- A good understanding of how a diverse workforce will contribute to the future success of the business.
- Evidence of delivering results in accordance with or exceeding expectations.
- A full UK driving licence -a Company vehicle will be available for business use.
The following requirements will be undertaken whilst in the role to support further progression.
- Engineering Level 4 qualification or relevant business management qualification.
- IOSH or equivalent safety qualification.
- Completion of a safe guarding course.
- Mental resilience course.
About The Company
If this is your opportunity to join us, you’ll find we offer a supportive, rewarding and friendly working environment where you’ll be empowered to build a career. Along the way, you’ll be invested in, be enabled by the latest technology and find that we’re always interested in evolving our systems and processes so that we get even better, every day.
In return, you’ll enjoy a package of benefits designed to reward your hard work and incentivise your ambition. In addition to your competitive salary, we offer a competitive contributory pension scheme where the company will double match your pension contributions up to a maximum company contribution of 10%. You will also have access, subject to eligibility criteria, to join our annual Share Save plan.
You will receive a generous annual leave entitlement on joining, starting at 26 days rising to 28 days following 10 years’ service, plus 8 bank holidays. Protective clothing and Safety Equipment will be provided where required and we offer free parking at all main sites. In addition, you will be able to access support via our Employee Assistance Programme, including musculoskeletal and physiotherapy services.
Additional Application Information
Recruitment correspondence is usually sent by email, so please do check your email account including spam/junk folders regularly after the closing date.
To enhance your candidate experience, we recommend using Google Chrome to complete your online application.
Should you have any questions regarding this or require additional support to complete your online application, please email email@example.com
We reserve the right to close the vacancy early should sufficient numbers of suitable applications be received. We recommend that you submit your application as soon as possible.