MBDA Missile Systems - Together. For the Future of Defence.Weapon Systems Graduate Engineer
As a Weapon System Engineer in MBDA you will join one of the Weapon System Engineering teams; Network Communications, Weapon System Equipment, and Weapon Systems Algorithms & Performance. We are a fast growing, multi-national group that provides a variety of different engineering and specialist skills across a number of projects within MBDA to ensure our products are fit for purpose and delivered on time and to cost. As the complexity of the battlefield increases, so too do our customers' capability needs! Consequently, we have evolved to providethe necessary expertise across a large range of weapon system aspects, much wider than just the missile itself.
This provides a great opportunity to recruit for roles in the following departments within our ‘group':Weapon Systems Equipment (WSE)
The Weapon System Equipment (WSE) team is responsible for managing groups of equipment and Weapon System sub-systems from the bidding stage, into the concept & requirements generation phase, through their development programme, and on to production & delivery and final integration onto the platform or launcher. The WSE team provides technical and project management to ensure that these products & equipment are fit for purpose and delivered on time and to cost.
As an engineer within the Weapon System Equipment team, you will have a unique opportunity to develop skills in several areas (e.g. technical, project management, product delivery) working across a variety of different projects in MBDA to gain a wide breath of knowledge. Typical WSE activities include;
Weapon System Algorithms and Performance (WSAP)
- Sub-System & Equipment Requirements generation and management.
- Technical management of equipment development, production and delivery to meet Customer milestones.
- Managing equipment and hardware development trials.
- Develop equipment policies and technical standards to improve capability.
- Regular contact with a variety of partners including external MBDA Customers and Suppliers.
- Working with a multi-disciplined team across all parts of the product lifecycle (e.g. procurement, commercial, mechanical & electrical engineers, software engineers, trials & integration teams)
The Weapon System Algorithms and Performance (WSAP) department aims to optimise end-to-end mission performance through innovative development & delivery of system-wide architectures & algorithms. WSAP provides technical expertise across a variety of topics, including weapon system architectures and algorithm development (including Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning techniques) for the exploitation of cutting-edge technologies.
As a Systems Engineer in WSAP, you will be involved in the development of current and future major systems and sub-systems, including the following activities:
- Planning, modelling and adapting of missile routes to optimise the effectiveness of the weapon.
- Automating a weapon's mission planning by leveraging machine learning techniques and simplifying operator decisions.
- Developing algorithms to enable autonomous behaviours and decision-making capabilities.
- The delivery of core products such as Target Modelling, Weapon Planning, and Launcher Interfaces etc. into a variety of MBDA programmes.
- Utilising and exploiting the latest in technological advancements to provide MBDA weapon systems with the most effective, secure and intelligent product.
- Developing launcher sub-systems for tactical strike missile systems.
A two year structured Graduate programme with your main ‘home' department (WSE or WSAP), with the opportunity of exploring a 6 month external placement within another department either internal or external to MBDA. What's great about joining this team?
Entry Criteria, Salary and Benefits
- A Weapon System is much more than just a missile - Weapon System Engineers provide world class products and solutions to deliver complex systems and all-round capabilities to our Customers. With such a diverse range of skills, expertise and domains, we offer those on the ECP scheme the ability to get a great overview of what makes a Weapon System.
- The opportunity to work across a variety of projects and engineering fields.
- A breadth of experience and support available across all of the Weapon System Engineering departments which include a buddy system to welcome you into MBDA, access to the mentoring scheme and regular informal meetings with other ECP members in the group.
- You will be working in an assistive and collaborative open plan working environment and systems laboratories, aimed at aiding your learning and development.
Why choose us?
- Degree qualified (minimum 2.2) in subjects such as Engineering (Mechanical, Electronic, Systems, Aerospace etc.), Physics, Mathematics and Computer Science.
- £30,000 starting salary plus £3,000 joining bonus
- Pension Scheme
- Access to range of employee discounts including Dining and Lifestyle discounts subsidised gym membership and more
MBDA is an award winning company; committed to providing an inclusive working environment where our employees can be themselves and everyone has equal opportunity to reach their full potential. We value difference and know that a diverse community makes for greater innovation and brings a breadth of skills, experience and perspectives.
We're here to help and want to ensure you have a positive experience throughout our recruitment process. We recognise that everyone is unique and we encourage you to speak to us should you require any advice, support or adjustments.
MBDA is a proud member of Working Families - the UK's work-life balance organisation. We welcome applicants who are looking for flexible working arrangements.
We understand that flexibility benefits our people, our teams and our business; wherever possible we will seek to accommodate a blended approach to on-site and remote working.
Follow us on LinkedIn (MBDA), Twitter (@MBDAcareers), Instagram (lifeatMBDA_UK) and Glassdoor or visit our MBDA Careers website for more information.
Please Note: MBDA UK requires all employees to achieve the appropriate clearance relevant to the role.