Electro Optical (EO) Technologist (Computational Imaging)
- Closing date
- 23 Oct 2022
- Design, Electrical, Electronics, Mechanical
- Job Type
- Early Career, Engineer, Senior & Chartered Engineer, Engineering Manager
MBDA Missile Systems - Together. For the future of defence.
Salary: £45k - £50k based on experience with performance based bonus and benefits.
Hybrid working pattern : Where possible, we will seek to accommodate a blended approach to on-site and remote working.
We have a fantastic opportunity to join our Electro-Optical(EO) Seekers & Sensors Department as an EO Technologist.
As a Department, we are responsible for supporting MBDA's complex weapon programmes through the provision of specialist EO support, as well as engaging in cutting-edge R&D activities - both internally, and pan-industry - to support the emerging, next-generation programmes.
This is an exciting role; the successful applicant will join our EO Technology Group, where you will have the opportunity to work on a range of innovative EO technologies and methodologies. In order to support the future needs of the complex weapon portfolio, we have the responsibility for defining and owning MBDA's EO technology roadmaps. Your role will centre on developing and demonstrating the associated technologies and techniques through a combination of in-house laboratory & field testing, computational modelling and analysis based on the underpinning science.
You will work within a highly skilled, experienced and multi-disciplinary team that will support you in delivering on our commitments. We will work with you to develop your skill, knowledge and experience, as well as supporting your ongoing professional development, all while ensuring a good work-life balance.
What we're looking for from you:
- A well-rounded, technically-minded scientist or engineer with an understanding of electro-optic systems; experience of infrared imaging or Lidar systems is desirable but not essential
- Have a proven track record of on-time delivery; particularly in a dynamic working environment.
- Able to engage with a broad range of internal and external partners, and forge strategic technical relationships.
- Be adaptable, self-starting and able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Basic project management knowledge, including planning and risk-management, or an aspiration to learn and develop this skill on-the-job.
- Experience of experiment and/or trials design, data analysis and physics-based model development.
- Working knowledge of Matlab, Simulink and Python is desirable, as is familiarity with configuration control software.
- An interest in algorithm development, deep learning and real-time processing is desirable; as is an interest in or experience of CAD and 3D printing.
- The desire to see innovative concepts from the early R&D phase, through to demonstration and ultimately product development.
What to expect:
We offer opportunities for career progression, paid overtime (subject to level), bonus scheme, comprehensive pension package, annual salary review, collaborative working environment and excellent on-site facilities.
We recognise that everyone is unique, and we encourage you to speak to us should you require any advice, support or adjustments throughout our recruitment process. We also welcome applicants who are looking for flexible working arrangements.
Follow us on LinkedIn (MBDA), Twitter (@MBDAcareers), Instagram (lifeatMBDA_UK) and Glassdoor or visit our MBDA Careers website for more information.
Please Note: MBDA UK requires all employees to achieve appropriate clearances.
Together. For the future of defence.
We work with purpose, knowing that every advancement provides better, smarter and more effective defence capabilities to the UK and their allies. Regarded as one of the most trusted suppliers of defence solutions in Europe, we have a relationship with the UK military spanning back over 70 years.
Whether it’s designing a future concept for the British Army, managing the procurement of a missile component or harnessing their expertise in software in order to integrate one of our products on to the newest fighter jet, all of our employees are a part of delivering a more secure tomorrow.
In addition to being the only defence company on Glassdoor's Best Places to Work 2022 list, MBDA are also recognised nationally with three Investors in People Gold Awards (People, Apprenticeships, and Wellbeing), a top 10 finisher on the Best Big Companies to Work For 2022 league tables.
For the latest vacancies, employer updates and stories from our people, make sure to visit and bookmark our MBDA UK Careers site.
Our values are at the core of everything we do and shape the culture of our organisation. No matter what role, our people from leadership to entry-level encompass these values knowing that they are working towards the same common goal, sharing a bigger purpose in order to protect national security and enable strategic independence.
Through promoting change with Innovation, taking ownership through Commitment, building trust through Integrity, inspiring others through Passion and encouraging collaboration through Team Spirit, we have created a place where people feel connected with each other and valued in our community.
6 Hills way
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert