Bolton MBDA Missile Systems - Together. For the Future of Defence.Complex Warheads: Lethality & Warheads Graduate Engineer
The Complex Warheads Centre of Excellence is a coordinated team situated across sites in Stevenage and Bolton. Their role is to:
What's the opportunity?
- Act as the company's design authority for Warheads.
- Support Warhead development throughout the product lifecycle; starting with concept design, design definitions, assessment, technical specification, test equipment and maturity of concepts, through into manufacture.
- Predict the lethal performance of various types of missile systems through modelling of missile terminal engagement, target detection, Warhead detonation and lethal performance prediction.
- Provide expertise in the skill areas of Warheads, energetic materials, target detection and weapon lethality.
This graduate role will involve working across both the Lethality and Warheads functions within the Complex Warheads Centre of Excellence, based in Stevenage and Bolton respectively.
During your time with the Lethality team, and with support and mentorship from the team's engineers, you'll be involved in applying a bespoke set of modelling tools to evaluate and investigate the lethal performance of developing and future missile systems against a range of targets. Our in-house tools are principally fast running evaluation models written in MATLAB; however, other tools ranging from CAD design software to complex finite element style hydrocodes see occasional use.
Your time within the Warheads team will involve working closely with highly skilled engineers across the whole of the Warhead product lifecycle. You will learn how to produce detailed design definitions, carry out concept assessment using modelling simulations and analyse and assess performance data collected during trials.
This is an outstanding opportunity to join a niche group of engineers across two functions with specialised expertise. The skills we utilise are not typical in academia and so joining the team presents an opportunity for you to develop knowledge in numerous aspects of missile lethality and Warhead development that you would not acquire anywhere else.
Joining us will build your knowledge and enable you to apply an understanding of Warhead technologies and their lethal effects to various types of missile systems in development and in service.
You may be encouraged to work independently, with limited supervision, or part of a small to medium team, as required.
Some projects may include collaboration with other MBDA departments across the UK and Europe. This role may require you to travel.
This role can be based at our Stevenage or Bolton site.Entry Criteria, Salary and Benefits
Why choose us?
- Degree Qualified (minimum 2.2) in an Engineering, Mathematical or Applied Science subject area such as Aeronautical, Aerospace, Mechanical or Systems Engineering, Physics, Chemistry or Mathematics.
- A passion to learn new skills and then apply to overcome engineering problems.
- The ability to communicate ideas clearly, including technical information, both verbally and in writing.
- £30,000 starting salary plus £3,000 joining bonus
- Pension Scheme
- Access to range of employee discounts including Dining and Lifestyle discounts subsidised gym membership and more
MBDA is an award winning company; committed to providing an inclusive working environment where our employees can be themselves and everyone has equal opportunity to reach their full potential. We value difference and know that a diverse community makes for greater innovation and brings a breadth of skills, experience and perspectives.
We're here to help and want to ensure you have a positive experience throughout our recruitment process. We recognise that everyone is unique and we encourage you to speak to us should you require any advice, support or adjustments.
MBDA is a proud member of Working Families - the UK's work-life balance organisation. We welcome applicants who are looking for flexible working arrangements.
We understand that flexibility benefits our people, our teams and our business; wherever possible we will seek to accommodate a blended approach to on-site and remote working.
Follow us on LinkedIn (MBDA), Twitter (@MBDAcareers), Instagram (lifeatMBDA_UK) and Glassdoor or visit our MBDA Careers website for more information.
Please Note: MBDA UK requires all employees to achieve the appropriate clearance relevant to the role.