Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
Salary: £39,748 to £44,166 per annum (dependent on skills and experience). A Specialist Allowance of up to £3000 per annum is also available for this role.
Location: Science and Technology Facilities Council, Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Harwell, Oxfordshire.
Come and do the kind of engineering that made you want to be an engineer. Stretch your technical skills while building human understanding. Promote sustainability and create new materials. Alongside world-leading scientists and technologists, shape projects that improve lives in the UK and far beyond.
Put simply, come, and discover the impact you can make when you're equipped, encouraged and inspired to perform to your very best.
About this opportunity:
The ISIS Instrument Design Group has an immediate requirement for an experienced senior design engineer with specialist knowledge in complex mechanical systems to manage the design, development, and procurement of its scientific research equipment. Instrument design is a key element in supporting the user community carrying out scientific studies at the ISIS facility, and there is an active programme of development of these systems as part of a wider facility growth.
This opportunity will see you join the Instrument Design Section, operating at the heart of ISIS's Instrument Design Division. You would work closely and collaborate with leading scientists in the field and work on a breadth of novel technologies. You will also be working closely with fellow engineers and scientists to specify, design, develop and procure bespoke mechanical systems. These could include but are not limited to radiation shielding, mechatronic systems and vacuum systems. You will be involved in full lifecycle engineering from concept to commissioning of one-off components and larger, sophisticated systems. As a senior part of a dynamic and responsive engineering team, you will lead the development of high-tech engineering solutions.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Play a leading role in design teams, with coordination between different disciplines.
- Actively manage priorities of own work and your staff's work against science board priorities.
- Manage the design of complex systems.
- Design mechanical systems from first principles.
- Carry out appropriate analysis of the systems.
- Line manage and senior line manage staff.
- Manage procurement and delivery of approved designs.
- Ensure all engineering design is carried out safely and in accordance with required codes of practice.
- Production of technical reports and safety assessments.
- Grant and record access and egress into controlled areas.
We are looking for someone with:
- Mechanical Engineering Apprenticeship or Degree in a Mechanical Engineering based subject.
- Significant Postgraduate experience in the Design including experience in working in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Proven ability to analyse and design systems from first principles.
- Proven ability to work to procedures, and Industrial Standards and Regulations.
- Understanding of safe design, risk assessments, and risk mitigation.
- Comprehensive understanding of materials and manufacturing.
We are offering a permanent position with a whole host of benefits including; 30 days holiday (in addition to bank holidays), an excellent pension scheme, employee shopping/travel discounts, a salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme, plus many more benefits and wellbeing initiatives that enable our employees to have an excellent work-life balance.
We will ensure, where possible, that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
UKRI is an Equal Opportunity & Disability Confident Employer.
We ask some of the biggest questions in the universe, to answer some of the biggest challenges in the world. Together, our scientists, technologists, engineers and business-support team explore the unknown across every field you could think of. They turn what they find into work that changes the world around us.
What could you achieve with the world-leading facilities and experts of one of Europe's largest research organisations by your side? Join us and discover what's possible.
Closing Date: 16th October 2022