At BAE Systems Digital Intelligence we develop world-class radio and data systems. We are launching a major new space programme, marrying our existing capabilities with new space technology.
We need skilled, enthusiastic and motivated people at all experience levels from graduate to CTO to deliver these exciting new capabilities. There are opportunities in all relevant engineering and non-engineering disciplines, both for those with space industry experience and those without.
Many roles come with opportunities for remote / hybrid working, working in our offices in Guildford and Great Baddow only when required.
We will provide you with personal development, CPD including support towards professional recognition, industry-leading benefits, and the opportunity to apply cutting-edge technology to interesting problems with the support of our highly-skilled engineering community.
Come and join us for this exciting opportunity to shape and deliver world-class space technologies.
What you will be doing (role duties and responsibilities)
You will be responsible for the design of high performance radio hardware for a range of applications in the space sector from communications to RF intelligence. Projects range from proof-of-concept through to operational use and include both payload and ground segment use cases.
The role will focus on RF front-end design (VHF to mmWave) and associated critical electronics functions, eg ADCs, DACs, power supply design. A deep understanding of electromagnetics will underpin your work. A good understanding of antenna design and waveform design is also important to allow you to consider trade-offs between these different functions and the RF front-end design.
You will draw on a wide range of practical experience and be able to quickly expand your knowledge into new areas as appropriate for the task.
You will be able to derive technical performance specifications from high level use cases, even if these are not well defined.
You will be able to work well with customers and internal stakeholders to understand use cases and communicate ideas. You will be able to collaborate well with other technical specialists and enable them to contribute to the design process. You will provide expertise and support to a wider engineering team to implement and deliver your designs.
What we are looking for (skills and experience)
We are looking for high-calibre people with some or all of the following characteristics:
- Able to take responsibility and lead the design of complex radio hardware
- Technically rigorous approach, typically backed up by a strong academic background in Engineering or Physics.
- Expert knowledge of RF circuit design (from VHF to mmWave) and the latest industry developments
- Expert knowledge of how to design different radio front-end architectures along with an understanding of trade-offs
- Good knowledge of theoretical foundations (eg electromagnetics) and the practical application of theory in design (eg design rules, best practice etc)
- Understanding of RF PCB construction and how to specify appropriate board stacks particularly where RF elements, such as filters, are incorporated into the PCB and where RF performance can be affected by manufacturing tolerances.
- Experience of relevant software design tools (eg CST, ADS, SPICE, PCB tools)
- Good understanding of antennas, waveforms, signal processing
- Extensive practical experience of delivering solutions to real world problems is essential. Space domain experience is relevant but not necessarily required.
- Comfortable working on multiple projects at the same time and in a dynamic environment where deadlines and priorities are changeable.
- Experience of working within multi-disciplinary development teams in a project-based environment.
- Good inter-personal skills; able to work well in a dynamic, collaborative team.
Life at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day. By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance wellbeing.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Digial Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds – the best and brightest minds – can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.
About BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
We use our intelligence-led insights to help defend Governments, Nations and Societies from cyber-attacks and financial crime. Our customers depend on our evolving capabilities to help them safely grow their organisations. Our unprecedented access to threat intelligence, world-leading analysts and market-leading technology means we can help them to adapt, evolve and stay ahead of the criminals.
Division overview: Capabilities
At BAE Systems Digital Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and Capabilities is the engine that keeps the business moving forward. It is the largest area of Digital Intelligence, containing our Engineering, Consulting and Project Management teams that design and implement the defence solutions and digital transformation projects that make us a globally recognised brand in both the public and private sector.
As a member of the Capabilities team, you will be creating and managing the solutions that earn us our place in an ever changing digital world. We all have a role to play in defending our clients, and this is yours.