MBDA Missile Systems - Together. For the Future of Defence.Seekers Production Support Engineer Graduate
The seeker is "the eyes" of every Missile; not just a collection of sensors, but a sophisticated integrated system which detects, identifies, and tracks targets. The seeker contains some of the most advanced technology in the Missile, and typically comprises around half of the development activity of a missile project.
We produce a variety of seekers of different types, including radar, electro-optical, and multi-mode seekers (combining both). Setting up a production line for building and testing seekers can be difficult due to their advanced designs and challenging requirements. Often seekers will contain brand new cutting-edge technology, which even our state-of-the-art manufacturing facility in Bolton will not have encountered before. We therefore need people with the enthusiasm and ability to become experts in seeker technology, and to apply that expertise to ensure we can build our seekers on quality, on time and on cost.What will you be doing?
The Seeker Production Support team provides the critical knowledge and skills to ensure that seeker production runs smoothly. As the role is reactive by nature, it is true to say there is no such thing as routine! We could be asked to support with any issue affecting the production of seekers, be it RF, electronic, mechanical, software, thermal or otherwise in nature. Teamwork is critical, as we will often work alongside engineers from the Manufacturing and Test teams to understand the problem, determine the cause, find the solution, and implement the fix. Some of the activities involved in this role include:
- Transitioning seekers between the Design phase and Manufacture phase, working with teams in both Stevenage and Bolton.
- Transferring technical knowledge from our Design teams, and then functioning as a technical point of contact for the Manufacturing teams.
- Investigating issues with the seeker design or production flow to determine the root cause.
- Advising changes and improvements to the seeker design, the way it is built, and the way it is tested.
- Performing measurements on RF systems, with commercial equipment like Vector Network Analysers and Spectrum Analysers, or with specialist-to-type test equipment.
- Analysis of test data and telemetry using MATLAB.
This will use and advance your knowledge from university, applying it to technical challenges at the cutting edge of technology, in a department where we never stop learning. We also work closely with many other teams, giving you exposure to even more areas across the industry. Seekers is an Anglo-Italian department, and work on numerous multinational projects with opportunities for travel.
You will also have the opportunity to work towards Professional Chartership with the IOP, IMA, IET, IMechE or RAeS, and we will also pay 100% of the fees whilst you are on the Graduate scheme.Entry Criteria
Why choose us?
- Degree qualified (minimum 2.2) in physics, engineering, electronics, mathematics, or related.
- Willing to learn and comfortable taking the initiative to solve complex technical issues.
- "Good Scientists" with an open and transparent, evidence-based approach.
- An adaptable engineer, who can pro-actively find and learn from both existing experts and written resources, then apply this knowledge to new and varied problems.
- £30,000 starting salary plus £3,000 joining bonus
- Pension Scheme
- Access to range of employee discounts including Dining and Lifestyle discounts subsidised gym membership and more
MBDA is an award winning company; committed to providing an inclusive working environment where our employees can be themselves and everyone has equal opportunity to reach their full potential. We value difference and know that a diverse community makes for greater innovation and brings a breadth of skills, experience and perspectives.
We're here to help and want to ensure you have a positive experience throughout our recruitment process. We recognise that everyone is unique and we encourage you to speak to us should you require any advice, support or adjustments.
MBDA is a proud member of Working Families - the UK's work-life balance organisation. We welcome applicants who are looking for flexible working arrangements.
We understand that flexibility benefits our people, our teams and our business; wherever possible we will seek to accommodate a blended approach to on-site and remote working.
Follow us on LinkedIn (MBDA), Twitter (@MBDAcareers), Instagram (lifeatMBDA_UK) and Glassdoor or visit our MBDA Careers website for more information.
Please Note: MBDA UK requires all employees to achieve the appropriate clearance relevant to the role.