Job title: Senior Engineer - Power & Propulsion
Location: Glasgow (Scotstoun), Bristol, Portsmouth or near any BAE Naval Ships Site. Hybrid working potential, will involve some travel to Scotstoun.
Salary: £40, 365 - 46,420 (Commensurate with Skills and Experience)What you'll be doing:
- Carry out specialist technical analyses and investigations, including evaluation and selection of technical options, and draft reports with suggested recommendations to support the resolution of problems and the improvement of engineering capability.
- Development and analysis of the CSC propulsion design, including ensuring requirement compliance from vendors and recommend actions to take. Ownership of specific equipment and engine compartments.
- Ensure the propulsion system integrates together and with interfacing systems, resulting in a safe, compliant design.
- Ownership of equipment and engine compartment maturity through the BAE engineering lifecycle and review process.
- Producing and reviewing technical design proposals and assurance packages, technical specifications, and review of technical contract deliverables. Ensure all quality and technical standards in assigned areas are maintained.
- Producing and reviewing design calculations as required.
Your skills and experiences:
- Experience in the design, build, integration, support and operation of power & propulsion systems. i.e., rotating machinery design, propulsion motors, power electronics, gearbox and or shaft line design and integration
- Awareness or experience of Product Life Cycle Management technical reviews.
- Technical specification writing experience
- Previous experience of producing engineering calculations
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and the ability to build positive strong working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience in Marine Engineering Systems
- Knowledge and experience of the full ship build lifecycle including Operations processes and modern build strategies
- Previous experience working in a multi-disciplined/cross disciplined team
- Chartered engineer with a relevant professional body or willing to work towards this
- Previous experience of coaching, mentoring and developing multi-disciplined professionals
Engineers at all levels should possess an academic qualification in Engineering or other related STEM subjects as well as specific (either academic or professional) qualifications and become recognised as Incorporated or Chartered Engineers through an appropriate recognised professional institution. Engineers are encouraged, and will be supported, to achieve the relevant accreditation. Preference will be given to candidates who are already professionally registered.
Benefits:You'll receive benefits including a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. You'll also have access to additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and employee discounts - you may also be eligible for an annual incentive. The Power & Propulsion Integrated Project Team (IPT):
As a Senior Engineer within the Power and propulsion team, you will be working on cutting edge defence technology, with the ownership & responsibility to ensure Key product lifecycle milestones are met on an exciting international programme delivery in high tech power & propulsion systems for future naval capability
You will provide specialist mechanical knowledge and experience into the design and assessment of general arrangements supporting the build of the Type 26 derivative (Canadian Surface Combatant (CSC) warship) for the Canadian Navy. You will be dealing with an international customer community, bringing together related aspects required to enable the in-country ship build.
This role will provide you with the opportunity to work as part of an integrated project team on a high-profile international project, gaining exposure to a high calibre of internal and external stakeholders. You will gain the opportunity to develop your career initially towards a Principal Engineer, then a technical authority or engineering manager position within the business.
Why BAE Systems?This is a place where you'll be able to make a real difference. You'll be part of an inclusive culture that values diversity, rewards integrity, and merit, and where you'll be empowered to fulfil your potential. We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and particularly from sections of the community who are currently underrepresented within our industry, including women, ethnic minorities, people with disabilities and LGBTQ+ individuals. We also want to make sure that our recruitment processes are as inclusive as possible. If you have a disability or health condition (for example dyslexia, autism, an anxiety disorder etc.) that may affect your performance in certain assessment types, please speak to your recruiter about potential reasonable adjustments."Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and your place of birth may limit those roles you can perform for the organisation.