Bristol MBDA Missile Systems - Together. For the future of defence.Salary:
Up to £48K dependent on experience + bonus + benefitsHybrid working pattern
: Where possible, we will seek to accommodate a blended approach to on-site and remote working
MBDA are at the forefront of the one of the most exciting and challenging programmes within Defence - to design and deliver a Future Combat Air Systems (FCAS) for the RAF and international partners in record time. This is your opportunity to be at the heart of this once in a generation, transformational initiative.
Today, Complex Weapons integration onto aircraft is a costly and lengthy process and part of MBDA's role in the FCAS programme is to reduce these measures significantly in order to provide capability upgrades to the User on a continuous basis, keeping their air platforms relevant as threats evolve.
The first opportunity for MBDA to demonstrate innovative applications of technology to air launched weapon integration and certification is through TEMPEST Flying Demonstrator. This work stream is working across the UK industry partners to design, develop and certify a flying test bed for internal weapon bay concepts. The aim is to conduct a Launch and Jettison of MBDA weapons from the payload bay. Alongside this, we are using the opportunity to shadow this "classical" weapons integration with a synthetic, model based approach. This synthetic approach will demonstrate the time and cost reduction when innovative technologies are used to reduce the physical testing requirements.
TEMPEST Weapon Integration Engineer is responsible for:
What we're looking for from you?
- Support the MBDA activities to achieve weapon integration onto the WS5. This will require work across functional activities within Aeromechanical/Aeroacoustics/EMC and Functional integration chains. Supporting the TEMPEST Weapon Integration Lead to work with the cross-industry enterprise, where the TEMPEST Weapon Integration Lead will act as the key MBDA presence.
- Working with the Synthetic T&E Team, support the use of identified technologies and process improvements to demonstrate the benefits of a Synthetic approach to weapons integration. This will be achieved through shadowing the physical integration within a model based environment and providing analysis and regression arguments to demonstrate equivalency to the Regulators
- Supporting the TEMPEST Weapon Integration Lead as the key technical interface to the relevant regulatory bodies (both internal TEX/Quality and external MOD), working to understand key validation requirements for the use of synthetic evidence in the FCAS air launched weapon certification process. . Through the Synthetic demonstration, identify key Regulator red-lines and changes to current regulatory frameworks to facilitate future Synthetic evidence within Air Launched weapon certification. Feed these into the future Synthetic T&E Strategy being developed by the Synthetic T&E Architect.
- Demonstrated technical attitude in one or more of Aeromech, AeroAcoustic, EMS or functional integration. Note: Experience from across missile & weapon integration domains and at various component/sub-system/system levels is considered relevant!
- Ability to work autonomously and obtain relevant information
- Ability to co-ordinate with a dynamic fast moving team against challenging timescales
- Ability to establish a good working relationship with both internal specialists and external agencies
- Willingness to take on new challenges and responsibilities in a continually changing environment.
What's in it for you?
- Experience of Air Launched Weapon Systems
- Experience of Systems Engineering - Integration Requirements & Verification Processes
- Experience of dealing with Aircraft Design Authorities and Government Agencies
- Experience working within an cross-industry or customer partner environment
What to expect:
- Early concept phase team, with the ability to influence the future direction of weapons integration for the UK Defence Industry
- Broad exposure to Aerodynamic, Mechanical, Electrical, Thermal functions required to conduct weapons integration
- Great exposure internally and with cross enterprise industrial and MOD partners
- Expectation that the role will grow in scope rapidly.
We offer opportunities for career progression, paid overtime (subject to level), bonus scheme, comprehensive pension package, annual salary review, collaborative working environment and excellent on-site facilities.
We recognise that everyone is unique, and we encourage you to speak to us should you require any advice, support or adjustments throughout our recruitment process. We also welcome applicants who are looking for flexible working arrangements.
Follow us on LinkedIn (MBDA), Twitter (@MBDAcareers), Instagram (lifeatMBDA_UK) and Glassdoor or visit our MBDA Careers website for more information.Please Note
: MBDA UK requires all employees to achieve appropriate clearances!