Senior Mechanical Project Engineer
Salary: £50,702 - £56,336 per annum (dependent on skills and experience). A Specialist Allowance of up to £3,000 per annum is also available for this role.
Contract Type: Permanent Position
Hours: Full time/Part-time (minimum 30 hours)
Location: Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Harwell, Oxfordshire
Come and do the kind of engineering that made you want to be an engineer. Stretch your technical skills while building human understanding. Promote sustainability and create new materials. Alongside world-leading scientists and technologists, shape projects that improve lives in the UK and far beyond.
Put simply, come and discover the impact you can make when you're equipped, encouraged and inspired to perform to your very best.
Discover the science your skills can enable by bringing your engineering experience to our Central Laser Facility. The facility is one of the world's leading laser centres, providing scientists mainly from the UK and continental Europe with access to an unparalleled range of pioneering laser technology.
As a Senior Mechanical Project Engineer you will be working within the Mechanical Engineering group providing design oversight for our Extreme Photonics Applications Centre (EPAC) main laser system.
Your responsibilities will be to:
- establish and produce specifications by working with scientific teams
- develop complex mechanical engineering components or systems from concept through design, procurement, commissioning and testing
- lead tendering, procurement and delivery of approved designs, equipment and services
We are looking for someone with:
- a degree in mechanical engineering along with extensive experience working in an engineering field and evidence of responsibility (budgets/management/risk/safety)
- the ability to perform engineering calculations, along with a good understanding of fundamental mechanical engineering principles
- experience of supervising the installation of Mechanical Systems
- experience of directing and leading mechanical engineering projects and/or people
What we offer
We are offering a permanent position with a whole host of benefits including:
* 30 days holiday (in addition to 10.5 bank holidays and privilege days)
* flexible working hours
* an excellent defined average salary pension scheme
* employee shopping/travel discounts
* excellent learning and development opportunities
* visa Sponsorship for candidates applying outside of the UK
Plus many more benefits and wellbeing initiatives that enable our employees to have a great work life balance!
UKRI is an Equal Opportunity & Disability Confident Employer.
We ask some of the biggest questions in the universe, to answer some of the biggest challenges in the world. Together, our scientists, technologists, engineers and business-support team explore the unknown across every field you could think of. And they turn what they find into work that changes the world around us.
What could you achieve with the world-leading facilities and experts of one of Europe's largest research organisations by your side? Join us and discover what's possible.
Please submit an application including your CV and a Cover Letter that clearly showcases how your skills and experience align to the requirements of the role. If you experience any difficulties with applying online, please contact us on
Closing Date: 27th November 2022