This is an exciting opportunity to join our growing Government business unit as a Senior Cloud Engineer. We, amongst many things, deliver next generation digital capability to defence customers.
Our Digital Solutions team is leading the way in providing Cloud-centric solutions. Currently we are working on building an exciting cloud-agnostic product as part of our Cloud-Enabled Mission Services (CEMS) project, helping prepare our clients for the challenges of tomorrow.
The role of the CEMS Senior Cloud Engineer is to provide the critical skills necessary to help build our vision for Cloud-based platforms and toolsets which will bring a strong digital advantage to our customers.
It’s an amazing time to join our rapidly-growing team and you'll be supported by an experienced group of specialists in the team and across the business to build re-usable cloud-agnostic patterns delivered through automation. Working closely with the Technical Lead and a diverse development team spanning many different career stages, you will be able to take ownership of one or more areas of technical delivery in an Agile framework.
There will be opportunities to mentor your junior colleagues and you’ll be given the space to operate with a high level of autonomy.
What background are we looking for?
You will have experience in as many as possible of the following:
- Practical software development in one or more common languages, such as Java or Python
- Cloud computing platforms such as AWS and Azure, ideally with having obtained or plan to obtain certification
- Be able to adapt to unfamiliar technologies, and methodically problem-solve with them
- Setting up development tooling, such as test frameworks, CICD and Git repositories
- Experience with infrastructure-as-code tools, such as Packer, Ansible and Terraform
- Be able to clearly communicate with both technical and non-technical audiences, and produce technical documentation to a high standard
- Ensuring code consistency, maintainability and quality through code reviews, automated testing and code analysis tools
- Team working inside an agile environment e.g. Scrum, Lean, Kanban
- Play a supporting role in the development of junior engineers at the start of their tech careers
- Using precedent and your own creativity to solve our challenges!
You will ideally have experience in some of these, but if not we’ll help you with them:
- Experience in full-stack technical design, accounting for non-functional requirements such as performance, high-availability and maintainability
- Cloud, infrastructure and application monitoring tools
- Managing stakeholders, including users and management
- Delivering technical demonstrations to customers
- Familiarity with security concepts, including secure design and implementation
- Containerisation e.g. Docker, Kubernetes
- Relational, document, or graph database systems
SC Security Clearance is required for this vacancy. If you are not currently Security Cleared, you will need to be eligible for this and willing to go through the process.
We are looking for a dynamic professional who enjoys working in a fast-paced organisation. The ideal candidate should be a proactive problem solver, skilled at collaboration and a keen learner.
How we will support you:
- Work-life balance is important; you’ll get 25 days holiday a year and, via our flexible benefits package the option to buy/sell and carry over from the year before
- Our flexible benefits package includes; private medical and dental insurance, a competitive pension scheme, cycle to work scheme, taste cards and more
- You’ll have a dedicated Career Manager to help you develop your career and guide you on your journey through BAE
- Don’t know a particular technology? Your learning and development is key to your future career
- You’ll be part of our bonus scheme
- You are welcome to join any/all of our Diversity and Support groups. These groups cover everything from gender diversity to mental health and wellbeing.
About BAE Systems Applied Intelligence:
- We help nations, governments and businesses around the world defend themselves against cyber-crime, reduce their risk in the connected world, comply with regulation, and transform their operations. We do this using our unique set of solutions, systems, experience and processes.
- Our success is down to our people. The changing nature of our business means that we’re constantly looking for the brightest talent to help us fulfil our ambitions. As an experienced professional, we’ll entrust you with responsibility; this means that you’ll have client contact, variety and support from day one.
- We'll encourage and support you to develop your skills and reward you as you grow. Whatever your area of expertise, you'll be much more than just a job title; you'll be an integral part of the business where your individual contribution makes a difference every day. Great minds deserve great rewards, so we also offer a very competitive salary and benefits package.
- Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. Staying competitive in today’s global marketplace requires an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds – the best and brightest minds – can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential. We also welcome discussions about flexible working.
- Only those with the permanent and unrestricted right to live and work in the UK will be considered for a position within BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. Due to the nature of our work, successful candidates for this role will be required to go through Government SC clearance prior to starting with us. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/security-vetting-and-clearance
Life at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day. By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance well-being.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds – the best and brightest minds – can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.
About BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
BAE Systems Digital Intelligence is home to 4,800 digital, cyber and intelligence experts. We work collaboratively across 16 countries to collect, connect and understand complex data, so that governments, nation states, armed forces and commercial businesses can unlock digital advantage in the most demanding environments.
Launched in 2022, Digital Intelligence is part of BAE Systems, and has a rich heritage in helping to defend nations and businesses around the world from advanced threats.