Engineering Manager – Hybrid Working - Leeds
At BAE Systems Digital Intelligence, we believe that digital technology is the key to unlocking our customers’ advantage. We are a highly respected engineering organisation providing services to governments around the world. We are proud of the mission critical systems that we build for our customers, in areas that truly make a difference to society. We work in a number of sectors including Healthcare, Law Enforcement, Security, Defence, Space, Telecommunications and National and International Government to name but a few.
We currently have opportunities for several Engineering Managers. In this role, you will have responsibility for leading teams of software engineers/testers/analysts working on a broad range of projects. You’ll be responsible for facilitating the management, prioritisation, estimation and allocation of workload among the Agile teams, steering them towards achieving their goals and satisfying (if not exceeding) customer expectations.
From helping account managers with bids to supporting the transition of projects into a live, you’ll be involved in all stages of the project lifecycle.
You will be someone with a technical background who also has a strong ability to communicate complicated technical matters with non-technical stakeholders. You will be commercially astute and balance the commercial needs of a project with the technical needs.
You will play a key part in evolving the Agile process and tooling as part of continuous improvement activity with a focus on efficiency, quality and cost effectiveness. Outside of project delivery you will influence the strategic direction of the centre, supporting communities of interest and knowledge sharing activities, as well as the career development of your mentees.
Your responsibilities and role will vary from project to project and you will be a confident and adaptable leader.
- Build relationships with stakeholders from outside the delivery centre
- Define and assure engineering practices across a programme
- Undertake the role of a Scrum Master within Agile projects or perform a more formal Development Manager/Technical PM role
- Assist the Product Owner/Customer/Analyst in maintaining and prioritising requirements
- Marshal the Application Lifecycle Management system ensuring the work is correctly broken down to the necessary granularity and ensuring that progress information is up to date at all times
- Identify and manage risk within the delivery team
- Provide a point of escalation and coordination for the Project Management community, over and above the day to day interaction as part of the sprint process
- Own the environment in which the development team operates, continually looking for improvements in tools and approaches
- Evangelise and undertake coaching for Agile teams both within the organisation and to our clients
- Provide progress reports and supporting interpretation with recommendations
- Line management of the Development team in a matrix environment.
- Maintain an accurate supply and demand forecast and ensure that the project team is prepared to meet the needs of the business
- Strengthen the presence of our team as a Centre of Excellence for Digital Engineering
You will have the following skills and experience:
- Agile development methods (e.g. Scrum / DSDM / XP / Kanban / SAFE), tooling and engineering approaches
- Excellent inter-personal, negotiation, communication and conflict management skills
- Excellent analytical skills (listening, questioning, challenging, modelling etc.)
- Experience of delivering development projects on time, to quality, and within budget, in a commercial environment
- Comfortable communicating at all levels of the business
The following experience is beneficial:
- Experience of managing the tools, team culture and behaviour that support the efficient delivery of engineering projects
- Certified Scrum Master
- Commercial acumen
Life at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day. By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance well-being.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds – the best and brightest minds – can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.
About BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
BAE Systems Digital Intelligence is home to 4,800 digital, cyber and intelligence experts. We work collaboratively across 16 countries to collect, connect and understand complex data, so that governments, nation states, armed forces and commercial businesses can unlock digital advantage in the most demanding environments.
Launched in 2022, Digital Intelligence is part of BAE Systems, and has a rich heritage in helping to defend nations and businesses around the world from advanced threats.