At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
It's big, it's loud, it's cold, and it's a challenging and exciting place to work! Come and join the mechanical team supporting, consolidating, developing and maintaining CERN cryogenic facilities, a unique opportunity to work on large and complex cryogenic equipments and to participate to the design, construction, installation and commissioning of cryogenics systems for accelerators, detectors and test facilities. CERN, Take Part!
As mechanical technician in the Technology Department (TE), Cryogenics Group (CRG), Mechanical and Engineering support section (ME), you will participate in the development and consolidation of cryogenic equipment for CERN accelerators, detectors and test areas. The activity ranges from the design to the commissioning phase of equipment, including the definition and participation to maintenance programs.
As a Mechanical Technician in the Technology Department (TE), Cryogenics Group (CRG), Mechanical and Engineering support section (ME) you will:
- Participate in the mechanical support for cryogenic equipment for CERN accelerators, detectors, and test areas. The activity varies from the mechanical and maintenance support to the cryogenic plants in operation including the definition and participation to upgrade and consolidation programs;
- Prepare and update the associated technical documentation: from the detailed characteristics of the equipment to the Quality Assurance Plan;
- Define the modifications of existing cryogenic equipment as well as participate in the design of new cryogenic equipment;
- Organize and follow-up the production, installation, and commissioning of cryogenic equipment;
- Make sure that all necessary safety measures are taken on work sites.
Higher technical diploma or equivalent relevant experience in the field of mechanics or a related field.
The experience required for this post is:
- Proven experience in manufacturing, installation and testing of mechanical equipment in an industrial environment;
- Be familiar with the use of process and instrumentations diagrams;
- Initial experience in cryogenics and/or vacuum technology is a plus.
- Knowledge and application of manufacturing methods and work preparation;
- Assembly of mechanical structure and equipment;
- Commissioning & maintenance of mechanical equipment & systems, including writing of procedure and updating in maintenance management systems.
- Demonstrating flexibility: demonstrating a willingness to accept changing circumstances; supporting initiatives for change.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: keeping up-to-date with developments in own field of expertise and readily absorbing new information.
- Working in teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting.
Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and learn/speak French/English in routine situations is important.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 08.01.2023 at midnight CET.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: TE-CRG-ME-2022-125-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Mechanical Technician