WHAT TO EXPECT
Responsible for authoring engineering standards for the design and performance of bodyshells and their components. This includes writing new standards from scratch and updating existing standards. Responsibilities extend to managing and structuring the standards in a proprietary electronic database, ensuring consistency and agreement with other component areas and their standards and consulting with experienced engineers / technical specialists to determine the required content and underlying logic of the standards.
The context to this is that JLR Vehicle Structures are responsible for the design and development of the body-less-doors and subframes (which are made up of pressings, castings and extrusions) together with the related joining means and sealing media.
The department is responsible for developing designs from concept through to production. In doing so, the deliverables are released 3D CAD models which demonstrate robustness via the application of internal standards, FMEAs, and design guidelines.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
* To turn engineers' outline standards (given in the form of notes, sketches and verbal explanation) into a grammatically correct, logical, easily comprehensible English text according to accepted UK English norms for formal report and standard writing.
* To generate and present tabular information and equations within the standards.
* To generate or obtain diagrams and visuals and include them within the standards.
* To submit standards for approval by key stakeholders / approvers.
* To seek resolution of disagreement between / about standards (with support from engineers).
* To bring clarity to the meaning of standards, avoiding misinterpretation or vagueness.
* Maintain close working relationships with other engineering departments and their standards authors.
* Suggest and promote improvements to the JLR standards processes.
WHAT YOU NEED
Knowledge and experience
* A-level English Language at grade A and previous experience in an engineering industry
* GCSE English Language at grade 8 or above and an engineering degree
* O-level English Language at grade A or above and an engineering degree
and all of the following:
* Proficient at composing lengthy reports and narratives, with indexes, figures and other complex formatting using Microsoft Word
* Proficient at using Microsoft Excel to generate clear and aesthetic tables of information
* Proficient at using Microsoft PowerPoint to generate clear and aesthetic diagrams and images
Some experience of automotive BIW design or manufacture (stampings and body construction knowledge)