The Software Engineer analyses requirements, designs, implements and unit tests software code and supporting artefacts using appropriate tools and following the disciplines and practices of BAE Systems.
The Software Engineer:
- Produces or validates the schedule and effort estimate for each task they perform
- Demonstrates an understanding of the importance of schedule and will endeavour to estimate accurately and deliver according to those estimates
- Demonstrates skill and adeptness in team collaboration, technical discussion and negotiation.
- Continually increase personal understanding of the languages, frameworks, technical concepts, methods and measurements that underpin the Engineering disciplines and practices of BAE Systems.
- Demonstrates the ability to understand, challenge, contribute or construct software specification and is capable of building software in line with the specifications
- Exploits appropriate software development methods, languages, libraries and techniques and applies these to software engineering tasks to realise the most effective outcome
- Ensures that all work is consistent with defined standards where standards exist and to withstand professional scrutiny in any case
- Ensures that high quality and delivery standards are met and consistently delivers quality code on time and within estimate.
- Demonstrates the ability to reflect on and improve personal performance
- Works as a member of a development team, collaborates with other team members and participates in technical discussions and conversations with customers.
- Basic networks (reverse proxy configuration, addressing)
- Strong understanding of Docker (Running in swarm mode specifically)
- Basic to intermediate knowledge of Go
- Intermediate knowledge of Python (for wrapping services from other teams and participating in code reviews)
- Intermediate understanding of Ansible
- Basic understanding of Certificate Authorities
- Intermediate understanding of Continuous Integration and, for the future, Continuous Delivery.
- Strong Bash scripting
- Understanding of Active Directory and Role modelling (this will be in keycloak, but as long as there is an understanding of how this should map)
About National Security
This role is part of our National Security Fundamental business, where we develop operational solutions and deliver mission-critical services to Law Enforcement Agencies and Government departments. Our dedicated engineers and business consultants form multi-disciplinary teams, working together to provide a variety of solutions that help to prevent, protect and pursue criminals involved in serious and organised crime, enhance operational capabilities and deliver digital transformation programmes. Our work is a mix of remote working with some travel to various LEA sites around the UK. We need proactive, solution finding individuals with a can do attitude to join our teams to help solve some of the most difficult challenges so even if this role isn’t a perfect fit we’d still love to hear from you!
Applicants to this role must be amenable to obtain UK Government security clearance
Life at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day. By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance well-being.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds – the best and brightest minds – can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.
About BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
BAE Systems Digital Intelligence is home to 4,800 digital, cyber and intelligence experts. We work collaboratively across 16 countries to collect, connect and understand complex data, so that governments, nation states, armed forces and commercial businesses can unlock digital advantage in the most demanding environments.
Launched in 2022, Digital Intelligence is part of BAE Systems, and has a rich heritage in helping to defend nations and businesses around the world from advanced threats.