Amazon is seeking a collaborative data centre engineer for our Amazon Web Services Team.
This electrical engineering position serves as the on-site maintenance technician and operator for an AWS data centre.
The Data Centre Electrical Engineer is responsible for operating and maintaining all electrical, mechanical, emergency generator, and fire/life safety equipment within the data centre. The individual serves as a technical resource to support Amazon within its data centres. Data centre equipment that supports mission-critical servers must maintain better than 99.999% uptime. Engineers are also tasked with driving innovation while reducing operational costs in the facilities.
Engineers are Amazon’s front line responders for hands-on electrical and mechanical equipment troubleshooting and operation. This equipment includes, but is not limited to, stand-by diesel generators, switchboards/switch-gears, UPS’s, PDU’s, AHU’s, pumps, motors, VFD’s, and building automation systems. They provide 24/7 shift coverage which could include 12 hour shifts, rotating shifts, 3, 4, or 5 day work weeks, and may change based on the needs of the business.
- Operate and maintain mechanical and electrical equipment
- Troubleshooting of facility and rack-level events within internal SLAs
- Perform limited maintenance tasks to include: filter changes, HVAC PMs, rack power installs, rack PDU, and rack ATS replacements
- Provide support to Data Centre Operations technicians
- Perform root cause analysis of equipment failures
- Ensure all safety procedures are adhered to while performing work
- Able to work a 12 hour shift (rotating 3 and 4 day work weeks days or nights)
- Take daily operational readings of all mechanical and electrical equipment through routine rounds/log taking (temperatures, voltages, currents, etc.)
- Utilise internal CMMS to manage building workflows and spare part inventory
- Supervise contractors who perform servicing or preventive maintenance
- Respond to off hour emergency calls per on call rotation for any one of the region’s sites
- Fully comply with all physical security procedures and policies
- This position may involve a night shift.
- Commutable to the Thames Valley Region
- Ability to work in cramped and/or elevated locations with or without reasonable accommodation
- Technical training (Military or trade school) or relevant experience
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office products (Excel, Word) and web-based operational tools
- Familiar with BMS and EPMS control systems and data collection/trending
- Proficient with maintenance management software
• 4+ years of Data Centre Engineering Experience
• Degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or relevant discipline
• Fundamental knowledge of network design and layout as well as low voltage (copper/ fibre) cabling.
•All candidates must possess a valid driver's license, their own vehicle, and will need to pass a driving record check to operate company vehicles. Travel between sites/locations during the workday may occur.
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. Protecting your privacy and the security of your data is a longstanding top priority for Amazon. Please consult our Privacy Notice (https://www.amazon.jobs/en/privacy_page) to know more about how we collect, use and transfer the personal data of our candidates.
Our inclusive culture empowers Amazonians to deliver the best results for our customers. If you have a disability and need an adjustment during the application and hiring process, including support for the interview or onboarding process, please contact the Applicant-Candidate Accommodation Team (ACAT), Monday through Friday from 7:00 am GMT - 4:00 pm GMT. If calling directly from the United Kingdom, please dial +44 800 086 9884 (tel:+448000869884). If calling from Ireland, please dial +353 1800 851 489 (tel:+3531800851489).