Principal Safety Case Specialist
Location - Reading / Basingstoke area
Our safety case teams are at the forefront of a wide variety of work, involving ground-breaking innovation and technical challenges across a wide range of projects associated with:
- AWE's multibillion-pound Capital Programme of new facilities
- Planning future systems in support of the UK's long-term strategic deterrent.
- Maintaining and extending the life of existing facilities
- Decommissioning of the redundant facilities.
There are exciting opportunities to develop careers both within, and beyond, AWE.
Package - £55,450 - £87,650 (depending on your suitability and level of experience)
Generous Relocation Assistance is available to eligible candidates.
AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) offer an attractive salary, market leading contributory pension scheme, generous holiday entitlement, excellent work/life balance including a 9-day working fortnight and flexible working hours (role dependent). A salary sacrifice scheme is also available. We will consider candidates looking for full time or part time hours. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time.
AWE is looking to expand our team within Safety Case Assessment. Acting as a Subject Matter Expert, your role will be pivotal in the assessment of nuclear, explosive, and other major hazards.
Our Principal Safety Case Specialists advise on strategies for the development of safety assessments (safety case/safety basis/risk assessments), and develop and deliver complex safety analyses, assessments, and associated documentation to ensure regulatory compliance.
What will you be required to do?
- Lead and manage the technical input to the planning and production of key safety documentation to facilitate operations in challenging facilities.
- Deliver safety assessments and other technical safety documentation to agreed AWE standards for exciting new project delivery
- Work with process owners to ensure compliance with modern standards and support updates to company standard direction where relevant to achieve appropriate and efficient compliance.
- Provides technical input to the design and/or delivery of technical training
- Mentor safety assessors and senior safety assessors as part of a planned development activity
Whilst not to be considered a check list, candidates should be able to demonstrate some of the following:
- Degree in a science or engineering based subject or vocational qualification (HND or equivalent) and/or extensive practical experience
- Knowledge and experience of working on a range of safety cases across different industries ideally radiological, chemical and/or explosive hazards
- Knowledge of the techniques used for Safety Case Assessment
- Excellent interpersonal/communication skills, report and presentation skills
- Experience in a nuclear, high hazard and/or highly regulated industry
- Professional membership to a relevant chartered body (desirable)
This is a highly rewarding position that will give you the opportunity to apply your skills and experience in support of AWE's important mission to keep the Nation safe.
All candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role and be willing and able to work in designated areas.