Missile Modelling and Simulation Scientist
- Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl)
- Fareham, South East England, PO17 6AD
- £25,052 - £38,066
- Closing date
- 10 Jan 2023
- Scientific, Systems, Research and Development
- Defence, Sciences, Software & Hardware
- Job Type
The Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl) is the science, technology and engineering arm of the UK’s Ministry of Defence. At Dstl, we harness science and technology to protect our nation – bringing together the best people with the best ideas, and applying them in unexpected ways. Because we provide the UK government with specialist science and technology research, advice and analysis, what we do is often sensitive, classified and internationally collaborative. Much of our work is operationally critical and has the potential to save many lives.
Significant changes in the geopolitical landscape coupled with the pace of technological development places pressure on how we defend our country. The Strategic Systems group is developing the capabilities to design and assess the next generation of strike & defensive weapon systems in order to ensure the long term security of the UK.
We are looking for people who have a willingness to study cutting edge technologies; the drive and dedication to build the tools and techniques that the UK will depend on for its future security; a collaborative approach to research and problem-solving; a natural desire to understand how things work, why they perform as they do and how multiple things work together.
In this role you will;
- Grow your understanding of cutting edge military systems that will shape the future strategic landscape,
- Develop and maintain the suite of tools the UK will use to understand how global actors affect the UK’s security and prosperity,
- Engage with front line commands to understand requirements and generate analysis that helps to shape the UK’s strategic capabilities
- Communicate technical plans and outputs to peers and senior technical colleagues.
Essential Technical Skills
- Writing software in modern general purpose programming languages (the team prefers Python and MATLAB/ Simulink for prototyping and analysis work. Then C/C++ and Fortran for high performance work).
- A working understanding of physics, mathematics and engineering
- The ability to communicate complex ideas and techniques to colleagues, customers and stakeholders.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in computer science, physics, mathematics, or a related engineering discipline
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills; contribute to collaborative discussions and efforts.
- The ability to adapt and improve to stay at the cutting-edge of technology.
- Team working.
Primarily office-based at Dstl Portsdown West, Fareham. There will also be off-site meetings with customers and stakeholders. Some occasional travel (UK and international) to stakeholder meetings should be expected. Dstl promotes a flexible working culture, any offsite or home working will be managed with the Team Leader in consideration of personal commitments.
Dstl recognises the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse backgrounds bring fresh ideas. We are committed to building an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution.
We particularly welcome female and ethnic minority applicants and those from the LGBTQI community, as they are under-represented within Dstl at these levels.
Our work in defence, security and intelligence requires our employees to be UK Nationals who are able to gain a high level of security clearance to undertake the projects we are involved in to protect us from security threats. For this reason, only UK Nationals will be able to apply for this role. If you are an international or dual-national candidate, and you think you have the skills we need, please consider applying to any of our government, security or defence partners.
This role will require full UK security clearance and you should have resided in the UK for the past 5 years. For some roles Developed Vetting will also be required, in this case you should have resided in the UK for the past 10 years.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Changing and Improving
- Communicating and Influencing
- Delivering at Pace
- Working Together
Dstl’s full range of great benefits can be found in the information pack which includes:
Financial: An excellent pension scheme starting from 26% employer contribution (find out more here). In Year Rewarding Achievement bonuses and thank you vouchers. Rental deposit scheme and cycle to work scheme.
Flexible working: Working options include alternative working patterns, compressed hours, job shares and annualised hours
Flexible working hours: Ability to bank hours in a 12 month reference period including the ability to accrue and use 3 days per calendar month.
Annual leave: A generous annual leave allowance starting at 25 days pro rata (rising to 30 after 5 years) plus 8 public holidays with the ability to buy/sell 5 additional days per annum.
Family: Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks with full pay, an additional 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid
Learning and Development: Encouragement and support on charterships, accreditations and access to fully funded apprenticeships up to level 7 (Masters Degree). Paid memberships with 2 relevant bodies/institutions. Employees have access to Civil Service Learning.
Facilities: Onsite parking, EV Charging points, restaurants, cafés and gyms.
The information pack can be found attached to the job specification on Civil Service Jobs.
We have a number of support networks to ensure all employees feel supported at work. These include the following:
Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Network
Race, Faith and Culture Network
Parents and Carer Support Network
Alternative Working Network
Gender Equality Network
New Starters Network
Enabled Network, for people with visible and non-visible disabilities.
The Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl) is the science inside UK defence and security. A proven national asset, Dstl is an executive agency of the Ministry of Defence (MOD) providing world class expertise and delivering cutting-edge science and technology for the benefit of the nation and allies.
Who we are
Dstl is one of the principal government organisations dedicated to science and technology in the defence and security field.
Dstl supplies specialist services to MOD and wider government, working collaboratively with external partners in industry and academia worldwide, providing expert research, specialist advice and invaluable operational support.
We are innovative, collaborative and impactful.
Our responsibilities include:
- supplying sensitive and specialist science and technology services for MOD and wider government
- providing and facilitating expert advice, analysis and assurance on defence procurement
- leading on the MOD’s science and technology programme
- understanding risks and opportunities through horizon-scanning
- acting as a trusted interface between MOD, wider government, the private sector and academia to provide science and technology support to military operations by the UK and her allies
- championing and developing science and technology skills across MOD
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert