System Design & Verification Lead
- Closing date
- 14 Dec 2022
- Design, Electrical, Electronics, Mechanical
- Job Type
- Early Career, Engineer, Senior & Chartered Engineer, Engineering Manager
Salary: Up to £48,000 depending on experience + Bonus + Benefits
Hybrid working pattern: Where possible, we will seek to accommodate a blended approach to on-site and remote working.
Sea Viper is currently going through its next phase of life with major upgrades proposed to be rolled out over the coming years.In support of this, a key role has arisen within the Sea Viper system design team to support the delivery of the next phases of the new business programmes.A system design & verification manager role has opened up in the team to lead key elements of the system design & verification activities for the first increment of the major capability update to the system. The role would be reporting to the head of system design. This is a high profile programme within MBDA and MOD, and as part of the team you will engage with many senior stakeholders in delivering the role.
The programme is just completing a two-year pre-development phase study to mature and de-risk the weapon system design to provide a brand new capability. The programme is now going through a major bid activity for the next phases of development, with contract award expected next year.
A broad range of responsibilities include:
- Development of a coherent weapon system design baseline, including identification and management of design queries, and ensuring a coherent and consistent system design alongside the wider evolving Sea Viper design;
- Development of a qualification strategy;
- Management of the project requirement baseline, ensuring flow-down and agreement of sub-system requirements;
- Management of the key interface baselines, including the data exchange specifications between Sea Viper C2 and the combat management system and radar, requiring management of the relationships with the C2, CMS and radar design authorities;
- Management of technical analyses and investigations of system-level issues and opportunities, including conduct of trade-off studies, and any key supporting system design studies required to de-risk the system design;
- Management and conduct of key design reviews;
- Management of the system design verification and validation activities for the project;
- Management of complex relationships, both at a customer interaction level and the industry partners and suppliers, including management of relevant customer working groups;
- Management of key relationships with sub-system design authorities;
- Management of the systems team resource required to support the delivery of the above responsibilities.
What we're looking for
- Broad systems engineering background covering phases of the CADMID cycle from concept to manufacture, including generating TRSs, interface definitions, V&V planning, trials planning, qualification evidence generation and collation, generation of certification documents;
- Detailed knowledge of MBDA's system engineering processes;
- Broad knowledge of weapon system design concepts; experience working on air defence systems desirable; knowledge of C2, missile and radar design desirable;
- Ability to establish and maintain efficient and effective working relationships with stakeholders including MoD PT, WECA, MWC, DSTL, QinetiQ, BAES (Naval Ships and Maritime Services);
- Ability to communicate effectively across numerous levels of the stakeholder community;
- Ability to communicate effectively with subordinates, peers and seniors across MBDA;
- Ability to produce concise, coherent and detailed technical reports of a high quality;
- Ability to work autonomously and proactively, with minimal management support;
- Ability to lead and motivate a high performing team;
- Ability to work confidently in the face of ambiguity and multiple conflicting priorities to be able to identify the priority tasks and communicate effectively to the team.
What's in it for you?
- You would be one of the lead engineers responsible for delivering a high profile and key capability to the Royal Navy;
- The role covers a wide range of engineering experience, including weapon system, C2, radar and missile design; you would be working at the cutting edge of weapon system design;
- The wider Sea Viper programme works in a dynamic environment with its customer, with a host of different day-to-day activities;
- MBDA offers flexible working between the office and home, agreed as required and to meet the business needs.
Join a great team!
You would be joining a well-established team with a great team spirit; the team has a wealth of experience that has been built up over the many years of Sea Viper development and in-service support, providing a great opportunity to develop your knowledge and experience of the area defence domain, with everyone more than willing to share knowledge with others. The combined value of current and expected contract activities across the wider Sea Viper programme are set to propel Sea Viper to become one the most important programmes in the company over the coming years, so also presents a great opportunity for senior exposure. The combination of a commitment to support the in-service legacy capability as well as progressing a host of development contracts and ongoing bid activity means there is never a dull day on Sea Viper!
What to expect:
We offer opportunities for career progression, paid overtime (subject to level), bonus scheme, comprehensive pension package, annual salary review, collaborative working environment and excellent on-site facilities.
We recognise that everyone is unique, and we encourage you to speak to us should you require any advice, support or adjustments throughout our recruitment process. We also welcome applicants who are looking for flexible working arrangements.
Follow us on LinkedIn (MBDA), Twitter (@MBDAcareers), Instagram (lifeatMBDA_UK) and Glassdoor or visit our MBDA Careers website for more information.
Please Note: MBDA UK requires all employees to achieve appropriate clearances!
Together. For the future of defence.
We work with purpose, knowing that every advancement provides better, smarter and more effective defence capabilities to the UK and their allies. Regarded as one of the most trusted suppliers of defence solutions in Europe, we have a relationship with the UK military spanning back over 70 years.
Whether it’s designing a future concept for the British Army, managing the procurement of a missile component or harnessing their expertise in software in order to integrate one of our products on to the newest fighter jet, all of our employees are a part of delivering a more secure tomorrow.
In addition to being the only defence company on Glassdoor's Best Places to Work 2022 list, MBDA are also recognised nationally with three Investors in People Gold Awards (People, Apprenticeships, and Wellbeing), a top 10 finisher on the Best Big Companies to Work For 2022 league tables.
For the latest vacancies, employer updates and stories from our people, make sure to visit and bookmark our MBDA UK Careers site.
Our values are at the core of everything we do and shape the culture of our organisation. No matter what role, our people from leadership to entry-level encompass these values knowing that they are working towards the same common goal, sharing a bigger purpose in order to protect national security and enable strategic independence.
Through promoting change with Innovation, taking ownership through Commitment, building trust through Integrity, inspiring others through Passion and encouraging collaboration through Team Spirit, we have created a place where people feel connected with each other and valued in our community.
6 Hills way
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert