Safety Engineer - Nuclear Warhead
- Atomic Weapons Establishment (AWE)
- Reading, England, Berkshire / England, Basingstoke, Hampshire
- £33850 - £65000 per annum
- Closing date
- 2 Feb 2023
- Control & Instrumentation, Design, Nuclear, Safety, Systems
- Aerospace & Aviation, Defence, Nuclear Industry, Power, Sciences
- Job Type
Safety Engineers - Nuclear Warhead
Inquisitive and curious? Often find yourself asking "What if…?"? A degree, or equivalent experience, in a technical field? Experience in Electrical, Mechanical, Systems, Process, Chemical or Safety engineering? Worked with explosives, nuclear material, or in other high consequence regulated industries?
If so, do you fancy joining our team of nuclear safety engineers?
AWE is looking for dynamic individuals at various stages of their careers to join our friendly and supportive team of nuclear safety engineers.
We offer excellent development and progression opportunities (e.g. training up to MSc level if desired).
Our team manage the continued safety of the UK nuclear deterrent. You will play a key role in supporting national security, completing technical safety assessments relating to the warhead design.
Location - Reading/Basingstoke area (Office based)
AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) offers an attractive array of benefits which include:
- Generous holiday entitlement 270 hours a year (inclusive of Bank Holidays) plus every other Friday off
- Flexible working hours
- Potential opportunities to travel with work for conferences and international collaboration
- Consideration for either full time or part time hours. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time
- Opportunities for Professional Career Development that include funding for the annual membership of a relevant professional body, access to mentors and training
- Market leading contributory pension scheme
- AWE Life Insurance
- Salary sacrifice benefits scheme
- Relocation package available (terms and conditions apply)
What will you be responsible & accountable for?
Writing technical assessments and reports at a system, component and material level, relating to the warhead design
Managing delivery to time and quality
The organisation of evidence into coherent, concise safety submissions to the customer and regulator
Applying analysis techniques, tools and methods at all stages of the design lifecycle
Providing guidance to the wider engineering and production teams
Working collaboratively with a wide array of stakeholders on system design and verification
Managing conflicting priorities and perspectives
Supporting wider business initiatives as required as part of the Outreach and Engineering Programme, i.e. through presentations to external conferences/symposia
Candidates must be UK nationals and willing to obtain and maintain the security clearance required for the role. Occasional international travel will be available as part of the role. On-site office working is expected due to access to classified information.
We’re looking for talented and ambitious people to join us in our work at the forefront of nuclear defence engineering, science and technology.
To work at AWE is to play a valuable part in keeping our country safe and secure.
Working at AWE gives you access to exceptional technologies, facilities and projects no ordinary company can provide – and the support of world-class professionals at every stage of your career.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert