System Planning & Investment Engineer
- Perth or Glasgow. Hybrid working with a split between home and office
- £44,100 to £66,100 + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits
- Closing date
- 5 Feb 2023
- Design, Electrical, Systems
- Power, Renewables
- Job Type
About the Role
Base Location: Perth or Glasgow. Hybrid working with a split between home and office is available for this role to support your work/life balance.
Salary: You will be offered a competitive salary in the range between £44,100 to £66,100 + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
You also have an opportunity to buy SSE shares at a discount.
SSEN Transmission will support learning and development in areas relevant to your role.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
At SSEN Transmission we are building a network for net zero. We expect more than a threefold increase in generation from the current levels to 30GW by 2030 and more beyond that. If you are passionate about net zero and wanting to develop your career in transmission planning and investment, then we want to hear from you.
We have exciting opportunities for System Planning and Investment Engineers to undertake power system planning for the integration of low carbon generation and related technologies onto the transmission system in the north of Scotland. In this role you will have an opportunity to develop your career in power system analysis of modern networks with high penetration of renewable generation, customer engagement, writing business cases, working with highly skilled teams across the business and the energy industry.
Roles and responsibilities include the following;
- Undertake power system analysis including technical assessments of generator and demand customer connection applications and preparation of technical reports, providing input in commercial reports and business cases.
- Assess the capability of the transmission network against a range of future scenarios and network contingencies.
- Engage with multi-disciplinary teams throughout the business to identify and assess whole system solutions to meet system needs.
- Support the development and detailed design of projects through the justification of investment cases and undertaking system studies to underpin these.
- Represent SSEN Transmission in external meetings and on industry working groups.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Experience in power system analysis, design and planning, ideally within the electricity transmission area, with working knowledge of the relevant industry and technical standards.
- Working knowledge of electrical theory and experience in using power system analysis tools like PSSE, Power Factory or similar.
- Good knowledge of the electricity industry, including interfaces with generator and demand customers, the regulator, the Electricity System Operator, other Transmission Owners and Distribution Network Operators.
- Ability to write clear and well-structured technical reports and network requirements and provide focused information for senior management.
- A bachelor's degree, Master's Degree or PhD in Engineering or Physics.
- Membership or chartership with a relevant engineering institution is desirable but not essential.
About our Business
SSEN Transmission owns and operates the electricity transmission network in the north of Scotland, transporting energy from where it is generated to where it is needed, providing a safe and reliable supply of electricity to the communities it serves. Home to some of the UK's greatest resources of renewable energy, SSEN Transmission is playing a critical role in the transition to a low carbon future, developing, building, maintaining and operating a network for net zero.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Stephanie on email@example.com / 01738 342963.
EXTERNAL: Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
INTERNAL: As a courtesy, please let your current line manager know you are applying.
We are driven by our purpose: to provide energy needed today while building a better world of energy for tomorrow.
We are a leading generator of renewable electricity and one of the largest electricity network companies in the UK.
We develop, own and operate low carbon infrastructure to support the zero-carbon transition. This includes onshore and offshore wind, hydro power, electricity transmission and distribution grids, and efficient gas-fired generation, alongside providing energy products and services for businesses, and we have interests across Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Japan, Spain, Portugal, Denmark and Poland.
Our twin focus of practicality and inspiration is a strategy that has seen us through more than 70 years.
We are UK listed, employing 10,000 talented and skilled people and are real Living Wage and Fair Tax Mark accredited.
Because we’re SSE, and we’re for a better world of energy – for everyone.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert